internet problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mattuk87, Aug 28, 2007.

1. mattuk87 macrumors newbie

here's my problem,
    every now and again, i cant get onto the internet, no pages loads up. the strange thing is is when i check my internet connection it says its connected and also its 75% strong. it doesn't make sense. whenever this happens i click on the airport icon in the menu bar and always see that my computers has recognized another router which i think comes from across the road. not sure wether this has something to do with it.

if anyone has any ideas about how to fix this please tell me.

thanks in advance.

Matt!

2. HunterC macrumors newbie

3. mattuk87 thread starter macrumors newbie

erm, well i use camino now, used to be safari and firefox, only changed over a few days ago but this problem has been happening for maybe 2 months now. the whole internet just stops working, including MSN, google earth etc. shows that i have a strong connection though

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

well this most likely means that you are automatically joining the network accross the road. to prevent this, find out the name of the network go to system preferences > network select "airport" in the network status, and then hit the "airport" tab.

if your airport is connecting by "preffered networks" you might find that the network across the street is on top of this list.(see picture) if it is delete it, or drag it down lower (this way you can still access it and use their broadband :p).

Attached Files:

5. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

I know what he means. I have the same problem sometimes or at least seems like that. my MBP sees the network and is connected but doesn't load the pages. Status is "connected". when I go to network diagnostic everything lights up green down to ISP but server and network are tellow or red and I got the tab "your computer is connected maybe you typed wrong address" or something like that. Anyone have any idea what would that be??

6. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

It doesn't sound like your DNS is messed up.

Go into your TCP/IP settings for your airport connection.

Log-in to your router and find the tab with the router status. Here it should tell you what your IP is and a couple other settings. Write down the DNS numbers.

In the DNS area of your TCP/IP for airport, type in the numbers you wrote down.

Click apply and close the TCP/IP window.