Internet problems that may or may not be Mac issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AndiMaria, Jan 19, 2011.

1. AndiMaria macrumors newbie

Jan 19, 2011
    Hey all,

My husband and I both have a MacBook. His is a couple years older than mine. Obviously, both of our Macs are connected to the same internet connection however my MacBook always has a much weaker signal than his. When I am on mine and the internet goes out, I will open his and the internet will work perfectly. Could this be an issue with my Mac? Any insight would be helpful!

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Mar 2, 2008
    Always a day away
    Certainly sounds that way.

Are you using a dual-band router?

Are you both using 802.11B or N?

Are you both accessing the signal from the same location within the house?
  3. AndiMaria thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 19, 2011
    We are using a dual band router and 802.11N. We do access the internet from the same spot in the house. I often will check his signal right after mine goes out, from the exact same spot.
  4. aussiedj macrumors regular

Dec 31, 2008
    I would say that your husband is disconnecting you so he can hog the bandwidth :p

Make sure all proxy's are off if you aren't using them on both safari / firefox & in System Preferences. And what type of connection are you using? ADSL, Cable? The modem / router is connecting to the internet directly? Has your husband accidently thought he needed to enable connection / internet sharing on his computer?

Otherwise change the channel you are using to connect, try a higher one.
  5. AndiMaria thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 19, 2011
    We have DSL, but I doubt he would have changed any settings on his computer. We are very basic computer people (turn it on, hit connect..haha). Turning off the Proxy' this a task in which I could accidentally mess something up further? Like I said, I'm a very basic computer user. :)