Internet problems with Powerbook G4!!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by guiltyox, Apr 18, 2009.

1. guiltyox macrumors newbie

There may be an easy explanation for this, but for someone who is new to Mac's entirely, it's proving to be difficult. I recently acquired a powerbook g4 15" powerpc 1.5ghz with 1gb ram and 80gb hd. I'm a computer technician at work, go figure, but only for pc's. The wireless works flawlessly on the mac at work, t1 connection, blah blah. When I arrive home, my wireless is SOOOOO slow and sometimes doesnt even work. I have comcast cable internet, which is really fast on my desktop and two pc laptops. So with my comcast, i have their issued cable modem and a linksys wireless router. Any thoughts as to why this is so slow? Takes me like, 5 minutes to load facebook. Any help is greatly appreciated!

p.s.- i have Mac OSX 10.5 +, not sure what exact version. I think 10.5.6? I'm not connected to anyone elses internet and my DNS are the same on my PC.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Are you connecting directly to the modem or through AirPort (wireless)? Have you tried to power cycle modem/router?

You can also try the following:

- create new location
    - delete "com.apple.airport.preferences.plist" and "preferences.plist" from Macintosh HD\Library\Preferences\SystemConfiguration (and then restart)
    - try in new user
    - see if your PowerBook can use other networks