Internet Provider Advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Benjer, May 19, 2008.

1. Benjer macrumors member

Since I have been in school my whole life and lived on campus all through college and graduate school, I have always been blessed with free internet service. However, now we are moving, and we need to select a service provider. We don't want cable or phone service, just internet, and the two main providers for our area (Denver) are Qwest and Comcast. We don't need anything too fast, we mostly do just basic browsing and email. What's the cheapest way to get service that isn't dial-up? Qwest quoted us $35 a month for DSL (1.5Mb/s download, 896 Kb/s upload), and Comcast quoted $55 for 6Mb/s. Do I have any other options?

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

1.5 mb is not worth it, it will be too slow for most anything. 5-7 mb seems to be about the sweet spot. Cable and DSL are really your only choices.

3. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

Comcast is ran by the spawn of satan. Their customer service is terrible, they throttle their bandwidth and then they lie about it.

4. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Comcast sucks very, very bad. dsl 1.5 is not slow unless you plan on downloading large file or lots of apple t.v. movies

I have 1.5 dl speed dsl and I'm very pleased. 2 years the 1.5 never changes and is always on all day and night. unlike my comcast neighbor who tells me of his daily to weekly problems with slow down and or interruption of service

Call Qwest back and tell them your just calling to compare performance and price packages against what you have been quoted from comcast and see if they can cut you a deal

Just to let you know you might end up spending more for just a dsl connection and no phone service. Often the phone company gives better deals and introductory rates for adding dsl to a voice service.
    Ask them