Internet question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by FX4568, Jul 19, 2011.

1. FX4568 macrumors 6502

During nights I get 500kbps, and during the day I get 400kbps then every second it goes back to 20 kbps then 300, 10,500,20, and like that. I seriously do not understand this.

Any help to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba

Maybe you could provide more information, like what Mac OS X version you use on what exact Mac, what router model you use, what kind of internet plan you have from what ISP and what applications are normally running and where you get those speeds you listed and if there are more than just your Mac using the same internet connection.
    The location would also be good to know, like rural or suburbs or city or moon.

Otherwise it could be a very long guessing game.

3. FX4568 thread starter macrumors 6502

Snow Leopard, latest software
    Internet plan, i was promised 500kbps. Normal run, Fb, sometimes few downloads.
    Macbook air. router netgear.
    Only mac using internet, and I got them from Istatpro. Uhm. City. Hope this helps

4. simsaladimbamba

Download speeds depend on what you download from where.
    Websites with text and some graphics don't often need the full bandwidth.

Just test your max speed with www.speedtest.net several times through the day to get better results, you can also use any of the other "internet download / upload speed tests" site out there.

And with 500kbps, do you mean 500KB/s or 500Kb/s, as iStat Pro reports in KB/s, and 1KB = 8Kb?