internet really slow?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CBillups1, Jun 28, 2009.

1. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

not sure whats going on, when im browsing on firefox its goes really really slow, been doing it since thursday. any idea what i can do to figure out whats going on?

2. RDM3 macrumors regular

IS it wireless or wired Internet? What router do you have, brand, G, N? Have you done a restart of the Mac and of the modem and router?

Which Mac do you have, how old?

Go to www.speakeasy.net and do the speed test, just scroll down and you will see it, pick the closest city and then copy paste the results, which will be below the speed test.

3. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

i already did a speedtest and its going the same as always, around 15. im on wireless and have full balls. Im on a aluminum macbook thats a little under a year old. Started after the power was going out because of a huge storm. Never had a problem liek this since the day i got it.

4. RDM3 macrumors regular

Which router are you using, is it a G or N rated?

5. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

6. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Does Safari slow down too? Check to see when FF updates went in too; there was a new one this last month.

Empty your cache too. FF Tool menu> Clear Private Data.

Repair Permissions too using Disk Utility for good measure, since you mentioned a power outage

7. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

make sure your DNS settings are set up correctly...do a search on these forums for DNS. this will increase speed of your internet

--Eric

8. RDM3 macrumors regular

Ok, G is not bad, how old is the router?

9. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

about a year as well, i dont know what the hell is going on.

Should i try and retarted the router? I mean the only problem is the router is hooked up to a PC that doesnt work anymore. I have the PC and my macbook so im scared to touch the router since the computer doesnt work and i dont wanna mess anything up so then i wont have internet.

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If the unused computer is just plugged into one of the Ethernet jacks on the router, it won't matter.

I'd power cycle both your modem and your router.

11. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

could it be my mac? i mean i tested the intenret again on speedtest and its going at 15mbps

12. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

also just tested the wifi on my blackberry and its going quick so judging by the speedtest and wifi itnot be the internet but my mac, even though i dont understand what would cause my internet to slow down on the mac.

13. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

In that case, remove your network from the preferred networks list, and rejoin it and re-enter your password. Sometimes that'll get things going.

14. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

did that i think, if i did it right and still nothing. still having problems.

geez wtf is going on, is it possible i got some sort of virus or something? if its not the internet then something has to be going on with the computer.

15. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

No such thing as an OS X virus, at least in the wild. Trojans, a couple; but you have to actively install them as they're usually piggybacked with pirated iWork/Adobe CS software.

16. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

Have you tried uninstalling FF, and downloading/installing FF 3.5? I believe the final release of 3.5 is due out today.

17. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

well for the day its been going faster, almost like normal. not sure what was going on before but seems like its going away