Internet Recovery/Boot from usb flash drive fails

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wpreuninger, Feb 12, 2015.

1. wpreuninger, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015

wpreuninger macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro Late 2012 that has been running perfectly fine. Until yesterday. Something weird happened, and I could not close Chrome. I performed a 'shutdown -h now' and powered back up, but the screen was one of the desktop backgrounds, but no icons or even the Apple in the upper left. Hard power off, it appears to try and boot but goes to a gray screen. Tried to use the usb install media to get Disk Utilities, appears to start working but eventually goes to that gray screen.

Ctrl-Option R (Internet Recovery) asks for a wifi network, I connect and progress bar goes all the way, the screen flashes black and then back to the gray screen.

The drive is a Crucial SSD 512 GB and RAM is 16GB from Crucial also. I made a Time Machine backup just a few days ago.

To repeat, pressing Option at powerup does display the internal and flas (install media) drives, but does not take me to Recovery Tools. Only to a gray screen.

Internet Recovery appears to begin, but eventually brings me to a gray screen.

Please! HELP!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Kind of sounds like your drive died. Is the TM backup on a local disk (USB)? Try to connect that and see if you can option key boot to recovery off the TM drive.