Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Strouty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
Cliff's Notes edit for people that don't like words:

iMac Pro 2017 27" (I know that is redundant) was running Monterey OS fully updated.

Stuck in Internet Recovery mode, PERIOD, nothing else, I get white apple on black screen, then spinning globe.

Tried all keyboard commands on MULTIPLE keyboards WIRED and WIRELESS

Tried Wifi keep getting error 2100F

Tried ETHERNET direct keep getting error 2003F

Used SECOND GOOD iMac with apple configurator 2 application, doesn't register first iMac properly and WON'T let me do a remote restore.

I created a Monterey USB bootable install drive, but I CAN'T get the iMac to give me an option, I get nothing but the internet recovery just like the title says.

Original words:

I have an iMac Pro, I was getting ready to sell it, read about best way to wipe SSD before doing a clean installation of Monterey, I turned on file vault, then changed password to a long random mess. I then erased the drive and started to use recovery for the clean install. At this point it went to internet recovery, I tried wireless, had error 2100F after 25 minutes or so. When I restarted the computer, it went directly into internet recovery mode. I tried restarting and using command R with no luck on the Bluetooth keyboard, I then plugged the cable in directly, command R did nothing. It would always boot directly into internet recovery mode, I tried another keyboard, nothing, I held the power button, nothing changes, it boots back to the same place. I unplugged it, no change, I ran an Ethernet cable, then got error 2003F. I then tried another iMac using Apple Configurator 2, it shows something, but won’t allow me to restore. I can’t even get the option to boot from an external drive. Just internet recovery mode. Any suggestions?

Below is the only screen that will "boot" after a restart, I can only force restart with power button or unplugging.
9BF7CB0A-B8FF-46AC-BC98-A0D070FDFBD9.jpeg

Below you see that the iMac still responds, I can type in a password for Wifi or manually enter the network.
A0A98730-6682-4FA7-8374-63347C14E5D1.jpeg

Below you can see that is is trying to do something.
D94926F7-7E70-429B-9CCB-7AE527E2DE7B.jpeg

Below is the error message I get after 20 minutes or so using WiFi.
12CD95D6-6FAE-430E-A9FA-D7B6B09174CE.jpeg

Below is the error message I get after using ETHERNET CABLE.
E4005630-FF99-4B27-8455-6946D3813A0F.jpeg

Using a SECOND good iMac running Monterey, this is what apple configurator 2 decides it sees when hooked up with an apple USB C charging/Data cable
7FB6B50A-B3A6-4A13-90FB-9115D62F4CC4.jpeg

Below is one of several screen that all essentially say the same thing about the "bad" iMac.
DFBFC1FE-1ADA-403B-80C6-792A2D7EBB37.jpeg

Below shows the choices I have and every one of them does nothing.
7BBFF566-CD63-4644-875B-3DCD2EA6051F.jpeg

Below is the error message I get when I try and revive. restore, reboot, or erase the "bad" iMac.
AA4CE501-5457-4C2A-A30C-17ECDEDD1385.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Strouty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
I did try and do a PRAM reset, along with just about any other voodoo the interwebs mentioned neither of my keyboards seem to have any influence over this computer. Is there a way to hook this to another computer so the good one thinks it is an external drive, then maybe I can clone it or something? Is there a procedure to reset PRAM or the T2 setup from inside the computer? At this point it is just a pile of parts to me if I can’t figure things out.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'm looking at the pics above.
How did you get to the screen, "Apple Controller"?
(that's one I've never seen before!)

Looking at the Apple Controller screen with the contextual menu:
What happens if you go back to that one, and then choose:
Advanced --> Erase All Content and Settings
????

Is this Mac hooked up via ethernet, or are you trying to do this via wifi?
If it's on wifi, CONNECT IT TO ETHERNET, even if you have to move it.

More thoughts:
Do you have another Mac available to you?

REASON WHY I'm asking:
You could download Monterey on another Mac, and create a bootable USB flash drive installer.
You'll need a USB flash drive 16gb or larger.

Strouty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
It would have taken less time to read what I posted than it did to type up that response.

The apple controller screen shots are from a second iMac hooked to the one with the issues.

Strouty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
I have edited everything to be more user friendly, sorry to have been short, but I would expect a user with over 25k posts to read the info thoughtfully before just posting all the easy solutions that anyone can find with a few searches on this forum or in any search engine. If there is another forum that may better suit this question, I am all ears. I have spent several hours on this because I figured it was just something dumb that I was missing, but it appears I have some sort of hardware failure. I do not have any local computer shops that would understand this and I figure by the time I try and deal with Apple it will be a waste of time and money. The iMac is worth enough in parts that if I spend a couple hundred with Apple, I would ultimately be better off buying another one with a damaged screen and swapping this one out.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Is the iMac Pro hooked up to ethernet?
If not, try internet recovery while connected to ethernet. I've heard reports that sometimes it just works better that way.

If you still can't get anywhere using IR, then the other way to go might be by putting together a USB flash drive installer.

Have you tried that yet?

Strouty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
There is no way to use my bootable USB, I have no access to anything except "internet recovery" mode. I am also confused, are you just trying to troll me or what? I have very clearly stated answers to all your questions. Just because I am new on this forum doesn't necessarily mean I don't know how to use the search function. If this problem is above your skill set, don't keep getting my hopes up by replying, when I get a notification, I think there may actually be an answer to my questions, except you keep asking the same questions that I have already VERY clearly answered.

Strouty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
Yes, I tried everything suggested in every article that I could get my hands on, multiple times, the iMac never actually boots, just goes into internet recovery. I know that the power button works because it will restart the computer.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there

Fishrrman

has helped many Mac users get their Macs working these past decades on the forum here and has sound advice.
I would ask and post the same remedy to get your MacBook working but not in those words.
he would be THE LAST person here to troll anyone.

I would check the firmware on the iMac to make sure that is up to date.
and maybe use the internet recovery the less internet traffic is available.
where I live I can't download large files in the afternoon while mornings are better

we hope you get your iMac up and running soon!

Reactions: Jhonjhon236

Strouty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
Well, Fishrrman did not read anything I posted, so not sure how you can help if you don't read the OP's info?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I've never needed to use Apple Configurator, so I've never seen those menu choices before.

Hmmmm

Can you re-create the Apple Configurator setup you used to post those pics above?

What happens if you go to the "Apple Controller" is not booted Click Restore to update... and then try the "restore" button? Just fails again....?

Then again, you may have already tried that.

These questions for folks who know Apple Configurator:
In the next menu -- the one with the big "lock icon" -- perhaps someone could explain what the "locked lock" means? Does that lock have to be UNlocked before proceeding further?

If so, how does one UNlock it?
I see "unlock token" in the "advanced" menu (but again, not too familiar with Apple Configurator, not sure how to use that choice).

Do you get anything from the "Erase all content and settings" in the advanced sub-menu?

That's a feature with the m-series, not sure how it works on Intels with the t2 chip.

Some more thoughts...

According to everymac.com, the iMac Pro originally shipped with High Sierra.

I'm thinking another approach might be to download Mojave (which is easily obtainable), and then create a bootable flashdrive with the Mojave installer on it.

Then, boot from the USB installer, ERASE the internal drive, and install a copy of Mojave onto it.

Of course, it's not "Monterey", but if Mojave gets it running, that's good enough, let the next buyer upgrade beyond that if he/she desires...

Strouty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
To be clear, all the apple configurator screen shots are from the good iMac, the one with issues, NEVER shows anything but either the white apple logo on a black screen (for a second or two) then the spinning globe of internet recovery.

I can try to use high sierra or mojave, but it won't matter, there is no ability to choose a drive because I have no startup, none whatsoever, just internet recovery.

I am not sure if I am confusing people or if I am just not explaining it correctly, there is NO use of any keyboard commands period, the iMac always goes to internet recovery regardless of a power button reset or if I unplug it and plug it back in. There are no options on the screen to escape internet recovery or to change my boot drive, there is no recovery section left.

Strouty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
I will do some more testing tomorrow, I have watched a few videos on the apple controller app and read more info on the T2 chip, seems like there would be some internal failsafe way to reset things, I am ordering new adhesive strips so if (more likely when) I have to open things up, I can put it back together.

Strouty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
Apple says that I have to bring it to an authorized repair center because they have a “special machine” and that is the ONLY way to fix my issue. I am not giving up yet, but I have found a local repair shop, going to call them tomorrow morning.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
One other thing to try:
Power it off (pull the plug if necessary).
Hold down the "T" key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN.
NOW press the power on button (with the T key held down).

Same old thing as before?
Or... does it go into "target disk mode"?

Just wondering...
Did you buy this brand-new?
If so, did you ever boot to the recovery partition (earlier), and then go to "startup security", and then DISABLE the security?
I'm wondering if startup security could be interfering with things?
(I DISABLE startup security immediately as a matter of course)

BE CAREFUL about 3rd party "repair shops".
They may know what to do with a one-off Mac like the iMac Pro.
Then again, they may not.

Reactions: MBAir2010

Strouty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
I will give that a shot, the local repair shop seems pretty well versed, they are technically an apple authorized service center. They are right next to a fairly large college campus (at least for around here), I am guessing they see lots of macs. I talked with a tech and he said they will diagnose for free, then give me a flat fee price for repair, but he is convinced that as long as the hard drive isn't fried, he can get the OS on it, that would be $109. I am still going to do a couple things before I bring it in, just need to get it to my office, hopefully tonight.

I bought it used, upgraded to a better version of the same thing and sold this one to my Brother so my upgrade was only about $750 minus all this BS ;)

Mario Monroy

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2023
I will give that a shot, the local repair shop seems pretty well versed, they are technically an apple authorized service center. They are right next to a fairly large college campus (at least for around here), I am guessing they see lots of macs. I talked with a tech and he said they will diagnose for free, then give me a flat fee price for repair, but he is convinced that as long as the hard drive isn't fried, he can get the OS on it, that would be $109. I am still going to do a couple things before I bring it in, just need to get it to my office, hopefully tonight.

I bought it used, upgraded to a better version of the same thing and sold this one to my Brother so my upgrade was only about $750 minus all this BS ;)
Hello friend, I have the same problem as you, I have tried every suggestion and command to be able to reinstall the system and nothing. can you tell me what was your solution? SSD damaged? thank you!!!

macmaniacal

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2023
have you tried holding down option key right after hitting power button with usb install disk plugged in? that should force the machine to give you a choice between network install and the usb.

Itconnects

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2020
Blasphemy. I’m going through the same thing with my 2019 Mac Pro. It’s been 12 hours and it’s still recovering from the internet through Ethernet. Whats going on?

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Blasphemy. I’m going through the same thing with my 2019 Mac Pro. It’s been 12 hours and it’s still recovering from the internet through Ethernet. Whats going on?
Indeed, and I'm getting the same problems with a few early 2020 retina MacBook Airs at my workplace.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Go to the Apple Store and use their internet instead
Maybe I'll take one of these problematic Airs and use it on my secure home Internet, and see if that works. Then once it's reset and ready, I can bring it back into work to be logged and ready for resell. I've done it before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.