Internet Recovery Problem

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by skhimabobs, Apr 23, 2014.

1. skhimabobs macrumors newbie

I recently installed an SSD onto my refurbished mac mini with OWC Data Doubler. Then, I erased my HDD, hoping I could install Mavericks onto my SSD. I then tried to re-install Mavericks but it doesn't authenticate. How would I go about installing Mavericks?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Internet recovery will install the OS X version that came with your Mac. What version was that and what year model is your Mini?

How are you trying to install Mavs?

3. skhimabobs thread starter macrumors newbie

It came with 10.9, and it is late 2012 version. All I did was click re-install and it said it was unable to do it after attempting to authenticate.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If it came with Mavs, you should be able to use Internet recovery to reinstall it even without an AppleID.

Try this... boot into Internet recovery by holding command-option-r (all three at once) when booting. After logging on to your wifi you will see a spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads. Then you will see the recovery screen. From there use Disk Util to erase the new SSD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Util and click reinstall OS X at the top. That should DL the ~5GB OS and install it for you.