Internet Recovery

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by azsl1326, Aug 6, 2012.

1. azsl1326 macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I am installing an SSD to replace the 500gb HDD currently in my 2011 MacMini, which is running Lion. I just purchased it from a coworker and am thinking I want to do a clean install rather than clone the existing drive. If I were to install the (empty) SSD and just hold down Command-R during startup will I be prompted to do the Internet Recovery? Will I run into any issues with downloading and install Lion since I am the second owner?

Thanks, in advance.

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

If the system originally came with Lion to start with, it doesn't matter who the owner is, Lion will be reinstalled by default.

3. azsl1326 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! So I should be able to just install the SSD and then run Internet Recovery and it will automatically download Lion?

4. Ifti macrumors 68000

Correct, or create yourself a Lion USB Flash drive so you have it for future reference.
    Either way will work fine.

5. azsl1326 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks. I don't have access to the Lion install file, so I will have to go the Internet Recovery route - unless I get Mtn. Lion from the App store before installing the SSD. Either way, I appreciate all of your help and (YouTube) videos. Ordered the Samsung 830 based on your video review.