Internet restore not working, how can I install mavericks.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Toltepeceno, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

OK, I'm going to try this here in the os section.

I have a 2012 mac mini that will not work doing internet restore. I just get the spinning globe for hours and no downloading. There is no restore partition, did not come with one. How can I install mavericks on it so I can connect to itunes and update. It's not accessible, the only way (possibly) I can see is with dvd (usb drive) or usb flash drive. How can I do this using a windows computer to set it up? Is it possible?

Taking it to an apple store is not an option, none here in mexico.

2. bobdamnit macrumors regular

The only way to get the Mavericks installer is through the App Store. Unless you have access to another Mac to download Mavericks with, there isn't much of a point.

(Hint, look into virtual machine images!)

TransMac (Free trial, 15 days) will make a bootable Mavericks USB drive. The flash drive has to be formatted GPT instead of MBR (normal for most flash drives). TransMac also has the ability to do this.

However, if you manage to get OS X running in a virtual machine, you can just download Mavericks through the App Store and create a bootable flash drive using this method:

The second way to do this is better, because it will reinstall your recovery partition.

3. Toltepeceno, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014

Toltepeceno thread starter Suspended

Toltepeceno

Thanks for the reply. I am already trying the usb with the transmac trial. I have installed it on the usb and have booted in, right now I have a circle with a slash through it and the spinning thing below it. I don't know what that means.

Edit: It means it's not working. I think I need to format it again and as you said.

Running terminal is not possible, I don't know anyone else at all that has a mac. Unless of course you are referring to running it in virtual machine.

ha, it's not gpt. Doing it all again to see.

4. SuperPolli macrumors regular

If you have access to a backup from another machine on Mavericks or you have a machine on Mavericks, you should be able to boot from that drive (If it's another machine you must use a FireWire cable (400 or 800, it doesn't matter) and you'll need to be using Target Disk Mode. You should be able to install Mavericks that way. Or if the drive/machine are on an earlier version of OS X then you can install and update later.

5. Toltepeceno thread starter Suspended

Toltepeceno

I wound up getting the internet restore working. I would like to thank those that replied.

I found the answer buried on this forum from 2011 and the answer was to change the dns settings to google's dns settings and it started immediately. This is obviously not widely known as I came across a lot of instances of the error, 2002f, and no answers.

So thanks to the poster and to those that gave suggestions.

The bad part is that it took 17 hours to download and if I want to make a restore usb I will have to download it again. A simply horrible way to do it. Give me a restore disk any day.

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

No : make your USB stick before installing, or copy the installer to an external disk before installing and make your USB stick later.

7. Toltepeceno thread starter Suspended

Toltepeceno

It's already installed, I could not access anything until it was.

8. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Yes you could : after the download, the install starts automatically.

BUT, you can just quit it ("Installer", menu bar, Quit).

The installer is an app, located in the Applications folder : "Installer OS X Yosemite".

You can copy it to an external, or use DiskMaker X to create an USB stick.

THEN, you can launch the installer and install Yosemite.

The installer automatically deletes itself when the installation is completed.

Saludos.

9. bobdamnit macrumors regular

This does not work in internet recovery. OP could not boot to OS X because it was not installed. And internet recovery wouldn't download Mavericks until he changed DNS servers to Googles. So technically, he will have to redownload Mavericks. :(

I'm glad you got it fixed, though!

10. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You're right, I missed it was in Internet Recovery, sorry.

11. Toltepeceno thread starter Suspended

Toltepeceno

Correct, I only had access to internet recovery. In a day or two I will download it again and create the usb, I think it will be worth it.

Thanks Bob. You and the rest here are very appreciated.