Internet safety on PPC Macs

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jethryn Freyman, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

So I've got Leopard and I browse with TenFourFox with Adblock Plus, Flashblock, and HTTPS Everywhere installed.

I'm thinking about adding NoScript to the mix for greater security, as I do on Windows. I'm glad I have Flashblock since there's already plenty of vulnerabilities in the last versions of Flash for PPC which will forever remain unpatched.

Do you think adding NoScript is worth it? I guess it can't hurt... any comments?

2. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

I have to wonder if there is a reason to worry about security issues on this platform. If vulnerabilities were written for OS X and or Flash for x86, I don't think they would execute on PowerPC. That's just my opinion.

3. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

If you want to be on the absolute safe side, get http://us.norton.com/macintosh/antivirus/

It's still being sold in the PowerPC version, this way you will get the maximum security possible for your Mac.

4. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I've wondered similar things myself, and when new trojans come out, if they're universal or Intel-only...

----------

Sarcasm?

And in any case, even on Windows, antivirus software would not stop a computer that runs an outdated version of Flash from being hijacked by a flash exploit

5. martychang macrumors regular

Absolute yes, NoScript will probably increase web browsing performance too since you don't execute any scripts you don't need/want on a page. At least that's the story on my iBook.

It's important to note that scripting vulnerabilities are the number one way to have important info stolen on any platform, even if it doesn't install malware. If your browsing habits are in any way normal or safe this will hold true even for Windows nowadays. NoScript should be the first install for security on any computer.

6. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Agreed, just installed it. It's amazing just how many third parties sites have content coming from, like on MacRumors you've got trackers like quantserve and google-analytics.

7. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

But i do think that it sometimes makes a page look really ugly with the no-scrip t icon spread everywhere. well looks vs security i guess...

8. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I do like NoScript... just look at all the useless or detrimental mess even right here on this very page:

[​IMG]