Internet security for surfing, spam, malicious cookes, etc

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iaddict, Jan 4, 2010.

1. iaddict macrumors 6502

Okay, I've read enough to know I am now confused. Is is necessary for me to have some type of software that will detect/remove/prevent any malicious activity to my computer when I am surfing the internet? Some reports say Macs are still safe, others say not. I do use bill pay online and purchase things on the internet. I am wondering if not "protecting" my computer is leaving it and me vulnerable to threats on the web. I don't know what to believe after reading various reports so I thought I would ask here from people that KNOW the answer and don't have a $$ investment in the answer.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A computer virus is a computer program that can copy itself and infect a computer. The term "virus" is also commonly but erroneously used to refer to other types of malware, adware, and spyware programs that do not have the reproductive ability.

From Symantec:
    As of this time, there are NO viruses in the wild that affect current Mac OS X. In the past, there have been a few viruses that ran on older versions of the Mac operating system, but no longer.

There are, as of this time, trojans that can affect Mac OS X, but these must be downloaded and installed by the user, which involves entering the user's administrator password. Trojans can easily be avoided by the user exercising common sense and caution when installing applications. A common source of trojans is pirated software, typically downloaded from bit torrent sites.

Having virus protection software on your Mac is pointless, as far as protecting your Mac from viruses, since AV software can't detect a virus that doesn't exist. It is possible to have a file reside on your hard drive that contains a Windows virus, but since a Windows virus (program) can't run in native Mac OS X, it would be harmless to your Mac. Some choose to run AV on their Mac to scan for Windows viruses, so the Mac user can't pass a virus-infected file to a Windows user. In my opinion, a Windows user should be protected by their own AV software, so the burden of protection lies with the Windows user.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Who says not except Symantec, Intego and their ilk?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're far more vulnerable to social engineering or misconfigured network equipment/settings on both OS X and Windows these days. Just use your head and you'll be fine.

5. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

And if I am running Parallels on my mac

I do have Parallels installed on my mac BUT I always use the mac side when online. Just curious if I need to install something on the Windows side to protect it. I do get updates for Windows OS but don't use that for any other internet connection, as in surfing websites, opening emails, etc.

Thanks for your help and the information you gave. I certainly appreciate it!