Internet security questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by judytx, Feb 21, 2009.

1. judytx macrumors newbie

First off I'm not very literate in security issues or computer terminology so I'm sure I am going to come off as a complete moron but can anyone tell me what the security risks are if someone has my IP address.

Can they access my computer?
    Can they access my internet based e-mail?
    Can they find out who I am?

If I access a forum through a link from my internet e-mail can the administrator of the forum (or anyone else)

Hack my internet e-mail?
    Hack my computer?
    Find out who I am?

I have a Powerbook G4 and I'm running 10.4.11

Thank You!

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Short answer: Don't worry if they have your IP address.

Long answer: With an IP Address, they can't read your mail. They can run port and vulnerability scans (whether or not they are successful depends on if you have a firewall running), look up the reverse DNS connection of your IP address, which reveals your ISP, and sometimes general location, if that is included in your reverse DNS.

They can't find out who you are, unless they are the police and call up the ISP and subpoena the records of the account tied to your specific reverse DNS/IP.

Don't worry about accessing forums through clicked links in your email. Make sure it's not a phishing scam. Forum admins usually can see IP addresses of posters, see above.

3. judytx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you - that's exactly what I wanted to hear! :)