Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
OK. This question is kinda assuming I get my other problem fixed, see my other thread thats going. Ok, how do I set up or make my macbook secure? Like when using the wireless internet at the library or around college campus or at airports for that matter? At home I just connected to what "dlink" which is was our internet said, it wasn't protected or anything because our neighbors warned us that our internet wasn't secure. So how do I make a secure internet connection and make is so that I can be secure like when I'm at the school library or what not. Thanks again for everyones help!

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
OK. This question is kinda assuming I get my other problem fixed, see my other thread thats going. Ok, how do I set up or make my macbook secure? Like when using the wireless internet at the library or around college campus or at airports for that matter? At home I just connected to what "dlink" which is was our internet said, it wasn't protected or anything because our neighbors warned us that our internet wasn't secure. So how do I make a secure internet connection and make is so that I can be secure like when I'm at the school library or what not. Thanks again for everyones help!

Anyone?

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
When you say secure, are you talking about wireless encryption protocols like WEP or WPA?

If you're using someone else's wireless access point you can't do much if security isn't turned on. If it's your own wireless router you can configure it yourself then match settings on your MB.

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Sounds like for your D-Link you need to set up a password for your wireless network. This can be done in the routers Web Setup which will be under the IP for D-Link as I think 192.168.0.1. All you have to do is go into Safari and put 192.168.0.1 into the address bar. Should then come up and the option will be there somewhere in the router set up, just get rummaging and you will find it.

As for being in public places thats really out of your control. Your Mac is secure so its generally fine to connect to these networks. If you are worried about anything happening just dont use public networks for doing sensitive things on the internet such as banking etc. I know I would never do that but for general internet use its perfectly safe.

Hope that helps :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.