Internet service speed?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dime21, Mar 20, 2011.

1. dime21 macrumors 6502

Here's my internet service speed at home. As you can see, it's a bit feeble, not quite reaching the advertised 100 Mb/s in both directions. Anyone else paying for a certain speed, and just not getting what was advertised?? Should I call and complain?

[​IMG]

2. simsaladimbamba

93Mb/s is 11,625MB/s, which is enough to download a whole HD movie (10GB) in 14 minutes. If you need faster speeds, you can complain.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That's absurdly fast. I get about 1/10 of that at home, although I get speeds similar to yours in my dorm over wires, as the school basically has its own ISP. Most sites won't load nearly that fast anyway, as they just don't have the server bandwidth, so arguing about it will be relatively pointless. I'm not sure why you would need an upstream speed that fast unless you are uploading tons of HD movies online constantly.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'd love to get 11625 MB/s ... but I think you calculated in the wrong direction :)

Edit: After working it out myself, it came to 11.625 MB/s. Are you in a country that uses a comma for a decimal point? It's a bit confusing if you're not used to that notation!

5. darknite38 macrumors regular

Probably just a typo, no big deal.

6. simsaladimbamba

I always confuse the two separators in the English language. Where I learnt maths, the comma was used to say 1,5 to show 3/2.
    We never used some punctuation to show magnitudes of 10^3 though, therefore my confusion.

Anyway, I meant 93/8 MB/s.

7. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

I suspect you meant Mb/s as in mega bits/sec. MB generally refers to mega bytes.

cheers
    JohnG

8. simsaladimbamba

No, I meant MB/s, as 11.625 MB/s = 93/8 MB/s. I was just clarifying a bit more, as I got confused about the . and , and their proper use between numbers.

9. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Pretty much everyone at some point in the day will test out slower than expected. Then later in the day test higher. Your well within the "reasonable" zone. Too many factors involved for a flash speed tester. Ookla tests are not that accurate.