Internet Settings

Discussion in 'macOS' started by callmemike20, Dec 14, 2007.

1. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I have been having issues with my internet lately. I think I am getting severe packet loss. Websites don't always fully load unless I refresh them about 5 times, and when I am watching a video online (youtube, apple movie trailers, etc), the whole video doesn't always fully load up. Also, iChat disconnects and reconnects often on me.

Is there a way to check for packet loss in mac? I switched to mac a few months ago and I know windows could show you this, but I cant find it on mac. By the way, I am using sbc (now ATT) DSL and I have a belkin wireless router. This problem happens both wirelessly and when connected by ethernet.

Thank you all for the help.

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can use Network Utility in the Utilities folder to ping network components and then find packet loss. As a start, I'd check your DNS settings with your ISP. Are there other computer son the network having the same trouble? Are you having trouble with this machine on other networks?

4. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I am actually home from college for winter break. In college, the internet was perfect and really fast. And yes, this is happening on the other computer on the network.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is the other computer a Mac? I really think it's probably a DNS server issue at your router.

6. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

It is actually a windows pc. How would I go about testing the DNS on my router?

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, your ISP should give you an address of some sort (series of numbers). Form there it's simply a matter of putting them into the router. Do yuo have access to any configuration information for your internet setup?

8. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Yes I do. I am in 192.168.2.1, where do i go from here?

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are you sure that's your DNS server address? Well, in the Network pane of System Preferences, you can enter it in the DNS Servers box within the TCP/IP section. See if that helps. :)

10. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

If this is a DNS problem in your router, try using OpenDNS. Is a great free service that works really well as it is, but also gives you the opportunity to customize it, give it a try. All instructions you need to set up the service are explained in there:

http://opendns.com/

Cheers :apple:,

11. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Thanks for the help guys. I think I finally got it. I just put my modems DNS settings on my router as well.