Internet settings

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Freeze22, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Freeze22 macrumors newbie

I am with Shaw and currently have their high speed internet. About 3-4 weeks ago my internet has slowed down drastically. I talked with people from Shaw and they decided to send someone over. He could not find anything wrong with are connection and we spent a very long time trying to figure it all out. We couldn't find anything that would cause slow internet speeds. I have two computers. A mac G5 and a mac book pro. An ethernet cable goes from are modem to are air port extreme, and then another ethernet cable goes from the air port extreme to are G5 mac. We tried to take an ethernet cable and directly attach it from the modem to one of are computers. It didn't make any difference... The Shaw worker takes out his Dell laptop and see if the internet is also going slow.It isn't... It works perfectly! I have tried everything on the outside of the computers and I can't see what causing the problem. That is why I was wondering if anything could be wrong with the setting on both of my computers.

Help!!!!

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Do you have any programs doing updates?

What device is acting as the dhcp server? Might be worth trying static ip and dns assignments in one of the macs

3. Freeze22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been doing Software updates regularly and there is still no change in my internet speed.

I'm not that great with computers so I'm not exactly sure what I should do when you said, "Might be worth trying static ip and dns assignments in one of the macs" or "What device is acting as the dhcp server."