Internet sharing all skewed up on imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trevorlsciact, Sep 21, 2008.

1. trevorlsciact macrumors regular

ok i just use wifi for my ipod touch, so i dont have a router or anything, and have always just used the internet sharing feature on my iMac (first revision intel, 20 inch) sharing my cable internet through the built in airport. Since the update to 10.5.5 the range went down seriously, i couldnt really find anything that talked about this or said what to do. but this is not where my problem end unfortunately...

after searchin for generic wifi problems on imacs i read a suggestion to deleat one of the com.apple preference files, i deleted that and the one for sharing and one other one (the three that show up if you search for com.apple.internet) and restarted, well internet sharing was off after that, which makes sense cuz i deleted the preference file, so i go to preferences and turn it back on, i get no signal, i go the the network preferences, go to airport, and tell it to create a network, and that one i can see, but i cant connect to internet from it, my ipod will connect, but there is no internet. The airport preferences in the sharing section have a diferent name than the network i created, i tried renaming them both to one name but its still not working someone please help!

2. trevorlsciact thread starter macrumors regular

i did an archive an install and the problem is gone (tho i think the range is still messed up which means that a hardware issue) this may have been drastic but whatever lol, it worked so i dont care. :rolleyes: