Internet sharing and USB data modem?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nospleen, Dec 9, 2007.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Hello,

I just moved outside of the city and we do not have DSL/Cable internet available. We went with hi speed sat. internet and it is terrible. I am going to cancel and go with either the USB data modem that Sprint has or the ATT pci express modem. I doubt they will be faster, but, at least they cost less and I can take them with me on business trips.

My question is this. Currently, I use internet sharing and use my mac as a 'base station' so my kids can play games on nick jr. on their mac mini. However, the options for internet sharing do not list USB/PCI express as an option. Will it work, or does my main mac need to be connected to the web via an ethernet connection in order to share its internet?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I haven't had experience with those particular modems, but it still should work. From memory it'll come up with the appropriate option once you're set up.

3. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Does the town/county you reside in have cable? If it does you might want to check what the towns agreement are for the cable company to provide service to its citizens.

A small town my dad lived by required the cable company to provide service if there where 5 houses located in a total 1 mile stretch. So my father measured the distances and found that their were indeed the 5 houses, just barely. Thus the cable company that would not run a line out to him was forced to.

Might want to check unless you are really in the boondocks.