Internet sharing as a WiFi network - a bit flakey?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fluidedge, Feb 24, 2009.

1. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Hi

I haven't got a wireless router as i plug my MP straight into an ethernet socket for my internet. Now i often use "Internet Sharing" over both ethernet and WiFi for my laptop and now for my iPhone to be able to create my own little WiFi network to browse the interweb.

However the connection is awfully intermittent at best and just plain doesn't work some of the time. Is there any known issue with using internet sharing over an airport card with an iPhone (PS i'm not trying to go the other way and tether the iphone to my mac pro to browse that way)

Any tips on making the connection work or am i not supposed to do things that way?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the Airport card inside your MP is by no means a wireless router, therefore conenctions will always be intermittent and unstable. when i used to do that i found that i could not step more than 10metres (20feet) away from the computer that was sharing the connection, otherwise the computer would loose the connection.

i think its about time you invested in a wireless router! :rolleyes: they are cheap, and can be had for $50 of your american dollars.

3. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

lol whats that in GBP?

I'm in a university dorm and only about 6ft from the MP tower. so i guess perhaps it's not really the thing to be doing.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh haha, sorry. around 34 of your Brittish pound :p (for a really basic one)

hhmm 6ft should work perfectly!! there could be other things interfering though, when you go up to AirPort in the menu bar, is there an option "Use Interference Robustness" ?? hit that, maybe you will see some improvements.

im guessing that there are so many other wireless networks and such around you that its interfering too much, thus the drop-outs.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9