Internet Sharing between an Intel Mac, and a G4 iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thejollyfatman, Nov 6, 2008.

1. thejollyfatman macrumors newbie

Ok, i have a home network consisting of a wireless router in my front room, wired to my dads PC (YAWN) and a wireless connection to my Intel iMac (upstairs) running OSX 10.5.5. I would like to connect a G4 iMac running OSX 10.4 to it using an ethernet (crossover) cable so it can go in the room next door. I cant connect the G4 wirelessly as it has no airport card.

I've connected the two computers and and set the Intel mac to share its airport connection to the internet over ethernet, but cant seem to get either of them to recognise the existence of the connection. the Intel Mac says there is no Ethernet cable connected, and the G4 wont find any connection.

Help

Thanx

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

It's a lamp model, so pick it up and try plugging it directly into the router to see what happens. Do not use a crossover cable for this; use a regular Cat 5 ethernet cable.

3. thejollyfatman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea ive tried that & it works fine. But i want it t be in another room which is within a cables reach of the intel mac, but not within cable reach of the router.

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Since the ethernet cable works I don't understand why it won't show up in System Preferences>Network on either machine. You do have sharing enabled.

5. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

There should be airport cards available on ebay that you can buy for your imac. You'd need the Airport Card that looks like a PCMCIA card.