Internet sharing from a Windows XP to a Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smackbook, Sep 24, 2011.

1. smackbook macrumors newbie

I've done tons of research all over the internet looking for a way to do internet sharing, through a wireless connection (if it's even possible) from my PC at home to my Macbook Pro.

I've come across plenty of tutorials on youtube and elsewhere describing how to do internet sharing the other way around, from a Macbook to a PC, but I'm trying the opposite.

So the deal is, I have a roommate who owns his own PC, and is in charge of paying the monthly internet bill. He pays for that and I pay for the phone, and we split the cable. Anyways, due to a recent argument he's decided to log onto the router, change the passwords to get into it, and change the WPA password to the internet connection. So now I have no connection at home, unless he's not here (I secretly know the password to get onto his PC, that's what I'm using right now) and I'd really like to be able to somehow share the internet with my Macbook so that I can connect without him even knowing, through a wireless connection. I've figured out how to share the connection through an ethernet cable, but again, I'd like to find a way to connect while he's at home and not knowing, (unless he happens to go into control panel and see that the "Share connection with other computers" is checked, which I'm absolutely positive he won't.

I've tried tons of tutorials and nothing's worked over wireless, I've heard it can be done but sometimes when I mess with the network connections I end up accidentally ruining the overall connection to the internet and then I can't even connect through the PC until I undo what I did. I know it has something to do with the DHCP and manually entering the ICP into the network connections on the Mac, but I'm not sure.

So can anyone help me with a thread, video, tutorial or ANY type of explanation on how to share from my roommate's PC with Windows XP to my Macbook Pro? Even if me connecting to the internet is only possible while his computer is on (he leaves it on a lot) I'd absolutely love not worrying about coming into his room and connecting my laptop through an ethernet cable to get internet on my Macbook. PLEASE HELP!!! :(

2. fingerman macrumors member

I think the easiest solution would be to sort out the argument and pay him something towards the Internet bill :)

3. smackbook thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I've tried but he is one stubborn person and I'm 100% sure we're not going to resolve anything in the next couple of weeks, and I'm led to believe there must be a way to share internet, I know the best solution would be to get things straight with him but should this happen yet again I'd like to know how to do internet sharing.

4. echo83 macrumors newbie

Make the PC into a hotspot:

please refer to this video I found on youtube, it gives a good point by point on how to accomplish your intended task.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRZajQ3LhyU

hope this helps.

-echo

5. smackbook thread starter macrumors newbie

^ Thank you for that, it almost worked, I ended up creating a new wifi hotspot and I could see the newly created connection on my Macbook's Airport, but there was no internet connection through it. I followed all the steps thoroughly and I've tried it about four times, no internet. :(

For some reason about 50% of the time, whenever I check the option "Share internet with other computers" the router loses connection, and the Windows computer doesn't have internet for that time being. It seems if I uncheck it again the connection comes back, although sometimes it doesn't when I do so. I'm not sure if I just have a bad connection but I'm pretty sure it's because I'm checking that box.

Does anyone know one possible way that might actually work for me?

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Smack your room mate across the face with a leather glove and challenge him to a duel.

Honestly, grow a pair, sort things out like the adults you now are and get it over with the easy way.

FWIW, it's quite easy to do with a wired connection, but trying to run an Ad Hoc connection on a PC through wireless is a nightmare, I've tried before and gave up.