Internet Sharing from MacBook to PowerMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by muzikool, Apr 17, 2007.

1. muzikool macrumors member

For the first time I have the need to run the Internet Sharing service and I haven't had success so far. My MacBook received an internet connection through Airport, and I want to share this connection out to my PowerMac using an Ethernet cable. So the setup looks like this:

Internet --> MacBook Airport --> Ethernet Cable --> PowerMac

I've enabled Internet Sharing on my MacBook, selecting to share my connection from Airport, to computers using Built-in Ethernet.

The PowerMac recognizes a connection and pulls an IP address (192.168.x.x), which is not the same IP as the Aiport connection on my MacBook. I can't connect to the Internet from my PowerMac, though. I've looked at the configuration for my MacBook's built-in ethernet and it has an IP of 169.254.x.x -- is this correct?

I'm not sure if this will even work. I haven't been able to find anything that states whether or not one computer has to be connected directly to the modem or router. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

It should work, I'm actually doing it right now with an ibook and a G5. Make sure you have the correct ethernet cable (I believe you need crossover, though I've never encountered a problem using any kind of EN cable), and make sure you have the correct inputs selected on BOTH machines (i.e., internet sharing on the macbook is set to ethernet, internet connection on macbook is set to airport, internet connection on Powermac is set to ethernet). Also, DCHP will need to be reset on both; do this by clicking the pull down, choosing DCHP with manual IP address, then switch back to DCHP and select "apply". This will automatically set an IP address based on your connection. If all else fails, restart your powermac with the macbook on and sharing internet via the cable, and the cable plugged in. You shouldn't need to do this, however...