Internet sharing from MBP works now! (with 2.0)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by madmaxmedia, Jul 14, 2008.

1. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I had tried for a long time to try to set up internet sharing from my MBP so my iPod Touch could use it's internet connection at work (no wifi network here.) This is done in the 'Sharing' panel in System Preferences.

I just tried it out after the 2.0 upgrade, and it now works without a hitch!

At first it coughed up an error message about not being able to connect, but it immediately started working after that.

2. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Great. I'm assuming MBP is your macBook Pro. Mind telling us how your Touch is connected to the MBP to use it's networking?

3. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

My MacBook Pro is connected via ethernet to local network. I am sharing that connection through an ad-hoc wifi connection to my touch. Although in principle, it shouldn't matter how your computer is connected to the internet, the sharing to touch part would be the same. People were having problems getting this up and running before, even when using 3rd party apps to try to get the sharing part to work right.

You can go to System Preferences -> Sharing to set up 'internet sharing', in the advanced options you can create an ad-hoc network with WEP protection, etc. I then simply connected my touch to that network, and everything is now working smoothly.

4. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I see. Thanks. My iMac is already using the same wifi network that my Touch uses, so it's not something I need at home. I might try it at work using my office PC though. I've got a wifi dongle I can plug into it.

Now if someone could figure out how to get the Touch to share the networking of a cell phone. THAT would be a neat trick.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

In my temporary apartment here in Zurich, there's an iMac connected to ethernet. I've been getting both my iPod and both iPhones (2,5 and 3G) to connect to it now with 2,0. It occasionally worked before, but not very well. The connections were often dropped.

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I remember internet sharing on an iMac way before 2.0 even existed.... it worked then, I don't have any reason to believe it wouldn't work now.

7. techage14 macrumors regular

techage14

I've tried to do this before but, no luck on my Macbook Pro.
    Oh, well.