Internet Sharing has stopped working

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rob.G, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

This is very annoying. It's not on just one machine, but on both!! This all happened in the last week or so. I'm not 100% sure when, since it doesn't get used that often.

Mainly, I use it to connect my two Macs together, and to a lesser degree, to get my iPad online since I don't get any AT&T 3G where I live.

I don't recall any updates that would have caused this... Snow Leopard hasn't had any updates in quite a while. But like I said, it's happening on both machines. If I setup my MBA to share, the MBP and iPad can't see its network at all. If I set the MBP up to share, the MBA and iPad can't see it either.

Now, yesterday, I got a new "EnGenius" brand USB Wi-Fi adapter that I bought for a different purpose. But I installed the drivers for it and rebooted. I couldn't share through it since Internet Sharing appears to only allow that to be done via the Airport. BUT, since then, you can see the MBP network from the other machines but they can't connect. The iPad will keep saying, "can't connect to network [Dismiss]" over and over.

So I don't get it. I have no idea how to fix this either. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

Rob

2. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Well, instead of trying to keep up Internet Sharing, have you thought of using a WiFi router? This would get Internet to all three of your devices, simultaneously and independently. This would also open up iTunes Home Sharing and Airplay for you.

You could probably get by with a cheap one from a big-box retailer like Wal-Mart or Target for less than $50, and often far less.

3. Rob.G thread starter macrumors 6502

Rob.G

Yeah that'd be great except my fulltime internet connection is a Verizon 3G USB modem. I just happen to have a router designed to work with that thing, and it doesn't. I've done three firmware updates to it in the last year, and it hasn't helped. It's a MOFI.

I don't want to get a MyFi either; I use the external antenna port on the USB modem that the MyFi doesn't have.

I'm counting down the days (the number of which are unknown, actually) until Verizon has LTE available where I live. I live fulltime in an RV, so this is the best I've got.

To get 'net on my iPad, I've been using the hotspot feature of my phone.

Oh btw... I do sometimes tether my phone (using PDAnet)... sharing doesn't work with it either, and it used to as well. Sharing itself is totally broken.

If this was a Windows machine, I would know the only way to fix it is a wipe and reinstall. But since the Mac is better than that, I'm hoping there's a fix, especially since it affects two machines.

Rob