Internet Sharing - Mac Pro, iPad and iphone

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by PapaPiccolino, Jan 26, 2015.

1. PapaPiccolino macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I have a 2008 Mac Pro (Mac Pro 3.1) running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. The computer has an airport extreme card. I use an Ethernet only modem to connect to the internet.

I have tried all of today to get my son's iPad Air and iPhone 5S to share my computer's internet connection, without real success. I did a Google search for "sharing internet mac iPad iPhone". I have tried airport, I have tried Bluetooth, I have tried a few of the methods thrown up by my google search, but I just can't get it to work.

My son also has a 2009 iMac, which connects to the internet via my Ethernet modem, and he has no issuse sharing the iMac internet with his iPad and iPhone. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. philliplakis macrumors member

The problem might be 10.6

What OS X is your sons iMac on?

3. PapaPiccolino thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

thanks for that reply.

I was just about to post that I had solved the issue. It was the firewall setting in the security tab - this has been set to "block all coming connections" for ever, since I never do any gaming, ichat, or sharing files or apps of any kind. Once I turned this off, it works as expected.

Thank you.