Internet Sharing - Mac Pro, iPad and iphone

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by PapaPiccolino, Jan 26, 2015.

1. PapaPiccolino macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2015
    Hi everyone,

I have a 2008 Mac Pro (Mac Pro 3.1) running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. The computer has an airport extreme card. I use an Ethernet only modem to connect to the internet.

I have tried all of today to get my son's iPad Air and iPhone 5S to share my computer's internet connection, without real success. I did a Google search for "sharing internet mac iPad iPhone". I have tried airport, I have tried Bluetooth, I have tried a few of the methods thrown up by my google search, but I just can't get it to work.

My son also has a 2009 iMac, which connects to the internet via my Ethernet modem, and he has no issuse sharing the iMac internet with his iPad and iPhone. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  2. philliplakis macrumors member

Nov 19, 2014

The problem might be 10.6

What OS X is your sons iMac on?
  3. PapaPiccolino thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2015

thanks for that reply.

I was just about to post that I had solved the issue. It was the firewall setting in the security tab - this has been set to "block all coming connections" for ever, since I never do any gaming, ichat, or sharing files or apps of any kind. Once I turned this off, it works as expected.

Thank you.