Internet Sharing Mac to PS3 via Ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CrazyFlex, Dec 7, 2010.

1. CrazyFlex macrumors newbie

In my house my router is downstairs and upstairs in my bedroom I have my macbook and PS3. My macbook receives a strong four bar signal strength yet my PS3 receives under 20% strength which is really slow and often loses connection. I've been trying to share the wireless connection from my macbook to my PS3 using an ethernet cable but I have had no luck so far. I've watched various tutorials on youtube to do this with the xbox (since not all of them have built in wifi like most PS3s do) and I've tried to follow the same setup with my PS3 but nothing has worked.

If anyone could show me how to do it, or give any suggestions that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Morley7 macrumors member

I have never done it with a ps3 but I have with a pc. Don't you just go into System preferences>Sharing>Check "Internet Sharing" and configure it to share from the airport connection to the Ethernet port? Then just plug your ps3 from the Macbooks ethernet port into the Ps3.

I am almost certain that's how you would do it. If that is what you did then you may need a crossover cable. Instead of a regular cat5 cable. They are used to connect like devices such as a computer to computer. Or possible computer to ps3 I'm not entirely sure though.

3. CrazyFlex thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Yes that's what I did, I went into sharing and enabled internet sharing from airport to ethernet but I haven't got it working. I think I may have some settings wrong. Maybe I do need a crossover cable although I thought I read somewhere that a regular cat5 will work.