Internet Sharing - Macbook to Blu-Ray Player

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chozo, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Chozo macrumors member

Hey guys,

I am faced with a dilemma that has me scratching my head and making me embarrassed to be a networking student. Here's my situation:

My blu-ray player needs to access the internet (regularly) for BD Live features. My blu-ray player is in my room. My router is in the basement. Enter rage.

I have connected the blu-ray player directly to my router before and there was no problem, but I do not want to have to do that all the time. I saw some Youtube vids showing that with Internet Sharing, such a thing might be possible. I wanna use my Early 2008 White Macbook to share internet with the player. So I went into Internet Sharing and set it up to Share Connection from Airport and set To Computers Using Ethernet. Alas, this doesn't work. I get a "Cannot communicate properly with DHCP server."

The player said the type of cable might be wrong. So would a crossover cable fix this? I thought Macs don't need crossovers anymore due to that auto-switching feature that is present in all OSes lately?

Any ideas? Thoughts?

2. Chozo thread starter macrumors member

3. Chozo thread starter macrumors member

4. GtotheK macrumors member

media server

You need a media server to share between your PS3 and Macbook, I just installed one, and it works great. It's $15 and a free trial, but the free trial is very limited, like 30 min worth of video at a time. Everything set itself up on my PS3. Really cool program! There are others out there, but I like this one. Here's the link:

http://yazsoft.com/products/playback/information/

Let me know how it works.

This is assuming you have a PS3 as your BD player.

5. Chozo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply, but I don't have a PS3.

I'm trying to use my Macbook as an Access Point for my Blu-Ray player.