Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bedawyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2003
Asheville, NC
Mac Mini running Tiger, with no modem
Indigo iMac G3 running Panther, with a dial-up modem

The DSL modem is ordered, but won't be here for a while yet. I'm giving the Indigo to someone else in a few days, so I'm trying to avoid doing too much on it directly that will mean more changes to try to save before I give it away. To save my sanity, I'm trying to work from the Mini and use the Indigo's dial-up connection over Ethernet. According to the Mini's Network settings, it's working and connecting, but I still can't acces anything with the Mini. Is there something else I need to configure, or is the combination of Ethernet and dialup just too slow to ever be feasible?

And disk images: I need to recreate the Indigo's contents either on the Mini or on an external drive so that I can access it, including my user settings, and bootable if possible, after I give the Indigo away. Preferably on the Mini, since it has all the free space; the external drive boots from 9 and would need several more hours of file-shuffling to make space. I had thought I could just make a disk image of the Indigo on the Mini, but when I've tried that, it starts copying, then abruptly says "Permission Denied" with no explanation. I assume it has something to do with OS X's dad-blastit multiuser setup (tell me again how horrible the older OSes were -- the ones that would have let me just copy the Indigo drive over and been done with it yesterday :rolleyes: ). For some reason, it won't accept Sabrah on the Mini as the same user as Sabrah on the iMac; maybe because one's lowercase? Anyway, any suggestions for working around this?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Technically the network should be working right now...you may need to use a crossover cable, though, if the Indigo isn't recognizing that it is directly plugged into another computer. Crossover cables are special ethernet cables you can get for a few bucks at circuit city or the like.

As to copying files...why not start up in OS 9 on the indigo, start your mini up in Firewire Target Disk mode (Hold T on startup), plug it into the Indigo with a Firewire cord, and then Drag the Indigo's hard drive onto the Mini's hard drive? I think that would work fine.

Bedawyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2003
Asheville, NC
OutThere said:
Technically the network should be working right now...you may need to use a crossover cable, though, if the Indigo isn't recognizing that it is directly plugged into another computer. Crossover cables are special ethernet cables you can get for a few bucks at circuit city or the like.

I am using a crossover cable, and the Ethernet connection is fine; I've been accessing both back and forth with no problem. It's just anything Internet-related times out on the Mini.

Or... maybe not. Firefox timed out, but Safari seems to be ... at least thinking about working, if it's not just pulling things out of the cache. Let me play with it a bit more and cross my fingers. *sigh* No, it looks like it was pulling from the cache...

OutThere said:
As to copying files...why not start up in OS 9 on the indigo, start your mini up in Firewire Target Disk mode (Hold T on startup), plug it into the Indigo with a Firewire cord, and then Drag the Indigo's hard drive onto the Mini's hard drive? I think that would work fine.

Hmm. Not familiar with Target Disk mode, and I'm not sure I have an extra Firewire cable. On the other hand, my recent move has proved that I have five zillion cables. half of which I don't know what they go to, so maybe I do. ;-) To start up in 9 I'd have to boot the Indigo from the external drive, but that shouldn't be a problem. I'll hunt for the cable and give it a try. Thanks!

Or... hmm. You reminded me. I can use the iPod as a hard drive too, and I think I actually have a larger hard drive on the iPod than on the Indigo. Maybe I can do something with that. But one of the things I'm trying to do is avoid screwing up the iPod's syncing to the Indigo; ideally I'd like to be able to sync it to the "fake Indigo" after the real Indigo has gone away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.