Internet Sharing Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chetgnegy91, Oct 14, 2010.

1. chetgnegy91 macrumors newbie

I am trying to use my macbook as a router. Sounds simple enough...
    Everytime I broadcast the ethernet signal to my ipod touch, my computer disconnects from the internet, every time i reconnect the internet, the laptop stops putting out the signal. It doesn't let the airport and the ethernet work at the same time. Thanks, I really appreciate any suggestions!! i have been trying things that other people with similar problems have done all day.

Chet

2. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

I don't know if it is even possible... but honestly you can get a router for so cheap these days... much more features and you can set it and forget it.

3. chetgnegy91 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't get a router, I'm in a college dorm. There are many threads about people doing this successfully, I don't know why the laptop would put out a signal at all if this couldn't be done. (Other than for computer to computer, which is done in a different way)

4. borisiii macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm afraid there is nothing you can do - a lot of dorms limit your wired internet connection to one mac address at a time. That means that as soon as you connect two devices, both get disconnected.

5. cg165 macrumors regular

I am not sure how you are doing this currently. However, there is an option in "System Preferences", "Sharing", then "Internet Sharing". This will set your Ethernet plug to be broadcast through your airport (wireless) connection. I think this is what you are after, but it sounds like you may already be doing this. If you are not currently doing this, this will basically turn your mac into a wireless router so that other devices can connect to it. I am pretty sure you can also do this through the bluetooth sharing option as well.