Internet sharing through linksys router?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cerberez, Dec 25, 2010.

1. cerberez macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to macs.

Forgive me if this is obvious, but I've looked around on the net and haven't found an answer.

I live ~200 yards from my Mom's house. I set her up with a b/g/n router.

My Imac picks up the "n" signal just fine. My ps3, which only does b/g, gets no signal. I have an old linksys wrt54g wifi router. I tried plugging it into my imac and setting the imac to internet sharing through ethernet, but it didn't work. Stringing an ethernet cable isn't an option.

Am I missing a step in the system preferences for internet sharing? Is there another way to get internet to the ps3? I would rather not buy any new equipment, but I'd spend up to $50.

Thanks so much!

-Ezra

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

You need something that is capable of extending/repeating a network. An airport extreme or express can do that.

You could install DD-WRT on that linksys G router and set it to be a wireless bridge, but it's pretty freakin' complicated to do. I did it once. Took me a couple of hours to figure all the settings to make it work solid.

Frankly I am surprised you are seeing any signal at all from her house if her house is really 200 yards away...because that is longer than the theoretical max for B/G or N. I believe the absolute theoretical top range for N is just over 800ft outside, with unobstructed view. If it is located inside its' 250 feet TOPS.

3. lythium macrumors member

http://ui.linksys.com/files/WRT54G/v8/8.00.0/Routing.htm

Switch the operating mode to Router instead of Gateway. Might do the trick.