Internet sharing to create a network?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by disconap, Apr 17, 2007.

1. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Ok, I've been surfing around the web for a couple days for this with no luck, so...

I am trying to create a network using the "share internet" feature in OSX (essentially I need to receive a wireless signal on one machine and route it through a router to three others). I can share with each of my individual computers, but when I try to share through the router (2wire 2700hg-d, which was the modem/router we used when we received our service from Qwest), it doesn't seem to work. Is it not possible to share internet with more than one machine? If it is, how do I go about setting it up?

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

It is very possible to do what you want to do but your router may be the culprit. It sounds it was a modem/router that you used to use with a previous ISP? If thats the case then you would be better off to go out and get a real router like a Linksys or something. Then its very easily done. I'm thinking that the router thingy you're trying to use isn't functioning like its supposed to and you may be locked out from getting to the software that runs it as some ISP's do that.

Try and see if you can re-explain things a little. Also, give us the exact make and model of the router.

Are you sharing to the other computers via wireless or wired?

3. disconap thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

As stated above, the modem is a 2wire 2700hg-d, and I have access to the software controls for it so I can set it however I need to. The internet connection is wireless, and I would like to run that via ethernet to the modem, where I can hopefully then run out to the other machines. Ideally it would be rad to have both wireless and ethernet work FROM the modem, but the ethernet lines are good enough...

4. disconap thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

Anyone? It may just be a setting in the modem for it to run solely as a router; I contacted the manufacturer, but haven't heard back yet...