Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I was curious if i can internet share to a (insert gasp here) PC. I have internet sharing turned on but the pc doesn't see it. I was curious what steps I should take next.
Thanks,
Stephen

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Go to System Preferences, Sharing.

Double check that you are sharing from the correct interface (Airport) to the correct interface(s), like Ethernet, FireWire, etc.

It messed me up a few times too until I realized that I needed to choose an interface, and then use checkboxes to share to interfaces... now its old hat. :)

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I want to internet share from my ethernet to the airport and yes I have it set up. I see an airport logo at the top with an arrow through it
Thanks,
Stephen

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Is your PC seeing the network? When you set it up, did you add a password on to the network? Did you leave it on channel 11?

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Make sure your Windows PC is set to get IP Address and DNS info automatically, and that it's connected to the mac's wireless network.

Lee Tom

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
The mac was set to automatic but i changed it to channel 11 and it still didn't work. The pc says that there are no wireless networks found in range and to try to switch the computer on.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I guess the obvious: Are you sure they are in range? Are you trying to internet share across a vast distance or a short little hop?

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Does anyone else have any suggestions? It shouldn't matter that it is a pc and I am sharing from a mac right? Would it be easier to try it the other way around?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
You can share the internet from your Mac to the PC. I do it all the time.

Is the wireless functioning properly on the PC side?

It should pick it right up.

Hmmm....

Try it through ethernet first and see if thats working.

Also, is your OS X firewall turned on? That may interrupt things.

Do you have another Mac to test the wireless to see if its actually working?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
mklos said:
Also, is your OS X firewall turned on? That may interrupt things.

Ah, thanks for jogging my memory. OS X's firewall will not allow Internet Sharing to work but you don't get any messages saying this will happen.

Disable the firewall, that will solve it (if it is indeed it, and hows that for using only "i"s? ;))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.