Internet Sharing Using Ethernet Ports

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by derrrrrrrrrek, Nov 9, 2010.

1. derrrrrrrrrek macrumors newbie

Hey there,

So I hope you can help me with this question as it's been driving me bonkers the past few days.

I've been trying to use my Macbook (running OSX 10.5.8) and hook it up to my Xbox so I can get online through that.

I've read a bunch of tutorials on how to do this and it seems fairly simple, but the one problem I keep running into is when I click 'internet sharing' ON in the system preferences, I notice that in the section that says 'to computers using,' the only option i have is 'Firewire' and 'Ethernet' is not an option (I've attached a screenshot of the menu for y'all to look at).

I was wondering what I can do so that I have 'ethernet' listed as an option on here, as I really want to use my ethernet port and cable to hook it up with the Xbox and get this party started.

I know this question might be a little wonky, so I can clarify if necessary.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a million times over in advance.

~ Derek~

Attached Files:

2. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Hook up the Ethernet and plug in the xbox. It should show up then

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I share mine from ethernet and get three choices: AirPort, Firewire and ethernet. Maybe it's a problem with sharing from AirPort?

4. derrrrrrrrrek thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i dunno. it's really frustrating seeing as i know this can be done, but for whatever reason i can't get it to work.

any additional tips would be greatly appreciated!

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

On 10.4 and 10.6, ethernet shows up as an option even if you don't have anything plugged in.

Attached Files:

6. derrrrrrrrrek thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm by no means a computer whizz, but I am running 10.5.8. So should I find a way to upgrade/downgrade? Any recommendations?

7. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Have you ever even plugged in the ethernet to anything? Try plugging it straight into your router or modem once just so that OSX creates the port.

8. derrrrrrrrrek thread starter macrumors newbie

a few years back when i was living in squalor, i didn't have a wireless network setup and was just plugging in my laptop to get online. so i have in the past used the ethernet port.

and the main problem i may encounter with plugging the laptop in to the router is that we are actually sharing a wireless network with the people downstairs (who happen to be our landlords). i'm sure if i went to them and asked if i could try plugging in my laptop to their router, they'd let me, but i also feel like that could be an awkward conversation.

still, might be worth a shot...:cool:

9. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Did you try switching from AirPort to ethernet, so that you're sharing ethernet to ethernet? I don't know how you could share a wireless signal to an ethernet device with no wireless capability.

10. derrrrrrrrrek thread starter macrumors newbie

i'll check this out when i get home

thanks for the suggestion.

11. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

What does your screenshot of the Network system preference look like?