Internet Sharing Very Unstable on Mac 10.4

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ottomated, Dec 2, 2008.

1. ottomated macrumors newbie

I have Ethernet connection hooked up to my 13 inch black macbook.
    I turn on Wireless Internet Sharing via Airport and it works but it would stop working on its own couple of hours later. Sometimes when I turn it on it does not work. Sometimes I turn it on, it works until I turn off the machine. It's very very unstable.

I usually remedy the situation by restarting the machine but sometimes that does not even cure it. It would turn on, work for a while and stop working hours later.

The sharing logo on the top right bar stays on. But it does not let anybody have wireless internet.

sounds like a big bug to me. or my hardware is faulty. But that cannot be because wireless works 100% of the time with other routers.

has anybody experienced this before? I know internet sharing is not a prominent feature on the mac os but if they build it, they might as well make it so it does not cut people off when it feels like it. Seems like a easy thing to do....

*** EDIT
    My laptop does not go into sleep mode UNLESS I close the lid.

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If the MacBook goes into sleep mode... it shuts off all wireless communications.

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Does it have any power saving features set? Say to put the network card to sleep to save power etc? I no winbloze has this feature

4. ottomated thread starter macrumors newbie

no power save option. my laptop stays running if I leave it on the power adapter.

well, it stays running until someone knocks out the power cord....of course I will know why internet stopped working if that ever happens.

it does not log out users, it does not go into sleep mode, my laptop stays on if I tell it to do so which I do.