Internet Sharing - Watching Usage?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jamied95, Aug 14, 2010.

1. jamied95 macrumors 6502

Right, next week I'm going on holiday and have bought a USB dongle, which I'm going to plug into my MBP and share the internet connection so that the other 7 people in the house can also access the internet. My question is: is there any software to monitor the usage of individual sharers? I have a 5GB limit, and if someone starts downloading all sorts, I have no desire to be coughing up the bill, any help?

2. BiggAW macrumors 68020

1. Do you have an option for another ISP? That's HORRIBLE to have a 5GB limit. You could blow through that in a few hours, depending on the speed of the connection.

2. Get a router. Sharing the internet connection through a computer is asking for problems, and it going to rob the machine of CPU cycles.

3. I use Tomato on a Linksys WRT-54G (now you'd need a WRT-54GL) to monitor bandwidth on my connection, although we don't get anywhere near the 250GB cap, although I don't know if it has any mechanism of enforcement, just monitoring.

3. jamied95 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a mobile broadband thing that I'm going to use for a week on holiday - nothing more, but I'm afraid one of my idiotic family might start thinking lots of Youtube is fun. It will not be for me, or them once I find out who it is ;)

I just want to be able to watch the usage on my Mac, when I'm sharing the connection from the same Mac, and then be able to block people who say, use a GB in a day...

4. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Oooooh, that makes a lot more sense. I'm not sure about that. You could use a regular bandwidth meter to monitor and limit the bandwidth coming into the mobile card, but that wouldn't solve the problem of figuring out who is the offender if someone is using too much.

5. BiggAW macrumors 68020

If it's prepaid, there's nothing to worry about, they'll just cut you off, if it's contract then you need to be really careful!