Internet Sharing / WIFI

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mister880, Jan 18, 2010.

1. mister880 macrumors member

Greetings,

I love being able to use my macbook at a hotel with a wired connection to share it via wifi to my iPhone and other notebooks if I'm bunking with someone. However more and more hotels are doing away with the wired connection and going all wifi.

If I bought another usb wireless adapter could I use my mac's built in airport to connect and share it using the new usb wifi adapter? Will OS X be able to handle to open wifi connections?

If this won't work is there any way to get the iPhone to use the charging usb cable to piggyback internet off the macbook? Before people ask I am often in Europe and can't afford data roaming on my cell phone but have apps that I would like to still be able to use overseas.

Kevin Leidecker

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Why can't you access the hotel's wifi via iPhone?

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Some hotels charge by the device instead of per room I think.

OP, what if you got a router and used it as a bridge to take the hotel's WiFi and broadcast yourself a network. The only issue I could see is when hotels have the login type page to register your computer, but if it's the kind where only a MAC address is needed to be entered you can just enter the router's MAC instead of your laptop's.

4. mister880 thread starter macrumors member

Most places I have traveled to sell the wifi to the device. In the good ole' days you got a username and password. Not it's tied to the laptop.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Then register the iphone and use tethering through bluetooth?

6. mister880 thread starter macrumors member

If AT&T ever turns on the option to Teather

For those of you who have unlocked your phone or have the ability to teather can you share a wifi connection from your iPhone to your mackbook?

Kevin Leidecker

7. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

share the wifi connection to an airport express (or any wireless router) through ethernet.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

The short answer is: yes, and I've done it (though using USB to get internet and Airport to do the sharing).

I have a Rokland N3 USB wireless card. I bought it because, with my PBG4 being aluminum and all, it got terrible reception and I couldn't get anything on the top floor of the house I was living in. I've been staying in a cabin this past week with free Wi-Fi, but the routers are in only certain cabins. Long and short of it is, I've had to use my N3 to get internet and I've been sharing it with my iPod Touch through Airport no problem.

I would assume it would work by using the USB device to share, but it shouldn't pose a problem to do it the other way around (the way I've done it)?

EDIT: Upon looking through the system prefs, it looks far easier to get the internet from USB and create your network via airport. On my USB adaptor, I don't see the option to create a network. As always, YMMV.