Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oscargodson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Tech Specs:
MBP, intel, 10.5.8
iPod Touch 32GB, latest one as of 2/22/10

OK, so, I have a Clear 4G USB Modem, and the Internet works on my computer after plugging it in and turning on the Clear software.

Next, I turned on Internet Sharing, and from the "Share your connection from" dropdown I select "4G WiMAX (en4)" which is the USB device.

In the "To computers using" box below that I turn on "Ethernet", "AirPort", and "FireWire" all to be sure because it's not working. Internet sharing light is green, and it's on after this.

Finally, I "create network" from the AirPort, name it ("Clear", for example), then select "Automatic (11)" for the channel. No password, and voila! it's done, and shows up on my iPod.

I select it from my iPod, get full bars, go to get online and get 1 of the 2 errors:

1. "Operation is invalid"

2. faded out black screen with "Loading..." that never goes away.

I also tried changing the DNS and Search Domains on the iPod to match the "4G WiMAX (en4)" set up on my Mac in the "Network" preferences, but no go.

Does anyone know why or have any ideas? It'd be amazing if someone for got this for me because my work doesn't allow WiFi because we, unfortunately, need to be extremely secure with our network, so I'm trying to use my Clear modem + MBP as my personal WiFi network,

billib

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
USA
WiMax???

Tech Specs:
MBP, intel, 10.5.8
iPod Touch 32GB, latest one as of 2/22/10

OK, so, I have a Clear 4G USB Modem, and the Internet works on my computer after plugging it in and turning on the Clear software.

Next, I turned on Internet Sharing, and from the "Share your connection from" dropdown I select "4G WiMAX (en4)" which is the USB device.
Does anyone know why or have any ideas? It'd be amazing if someone for got this for me because my work doesn't allow WiFi because we, unfortunately, need to be extremely secure with our network, so I'm trying to use my Clear modem + MBP as my personal WiFi network,

I'm getting a new iPod Touch and would like to do something similar. Why did you decide to get a Clear 4G USB modem instead of something else? Please excuse my inexperienced.

gtk77

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2010
Internet Sharing with a Clear 4G USB Modem to iPod Touch

Buy CLEAR SPOT/Third Party USB WIFI compatible router and you can achieve this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.