internet sharing with a PC

Dominic5521

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
I'm am currently sharing my Internet via Airport to my MacBook and PC. The only problem is that the PC won't connect unless there is no password protecting the network. Why is this? What am I doing wrong?

zachsilvey

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Battle Ground
What OS is on the PC, any modern version of Windows (XP and up) should handle encrypted networks just fine. When you try to connect it doesn't ask for a password?

mhass

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Internet sharing problem

I have the same problem. Using SL and trying to share my connection to Win XP. It works without password but not with. When I add a password the XP machine pops up a message saying "was unable to connect" and it does not prompt for a password...

Anybody know of a solution?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
we need to know cofigurations more. WPA? WPA2? i believe you need SP2 or greater for Windows to support WPA2.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
if you get this working, ill be impressed - I had to resort to good ol' fashioned Ethernet cables to get my PCs online via my G4s, since Windows just plain refused to connect unless it was unprotected, at least, until Windows 7 (maybe try it with a Win 7 PC to see if that fixes it). I could never make it work with XP (XP SP3 btw).