internet sharing with a PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dominic5521, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Dominic5521 macrumors newbie

Nov 30, 2009
    I'm am currently sharing my Internet via Airport to my MacBook and PC. The only problem is that the PC won't connect unless there is no password protecting the network. Why is this? What am I doing wrong?
  2. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

Feb 5, 2008
    Battle Ground
    What OS is on the PC, any modern version of Windows (XP and up) should handle encrypted networks just fine. When you try to connect it doesn't ask for a password?
  3. mhass macrumors newbie

Jun 28, 2010
    Internet sharing problem

I have the same problem. Using SL and trying to share my connection to Win XP. It works without password but not with. When I add a password the XP machine pops up a message saying "was unable to connect" and it does not prompt for a password...

Anybody know of a solution?
  4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

Jun 11, 2007
    we need to know cofigurations more. WPA? WPA2? i believe you need SP2 or greater for Windows to support WPA2.
  5. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Feb 13, 2009
    United Kingdom
    if you get this working, ill be impressed - I had to resort to good ol' fashioned Ethernet cables to get my PCs online via my G4s, since Windows just plain refused to connect unless it was unprotected, at least, until Windows 7 (maybe try it with a Win 7 PC to see if that fixes it). I could never make it work with XP (XP SP3 btw).