Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
I have a windows machine connects to the internet, and i want to share its connection with my mac over my wifi, now my other windows based machines see the internet and use it, but my Mac OS X 10.4 dose not see the internet,
i tried using the network setup assistant, but that didn't work any ideas i can try?

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
ok, well now my Mac just started connecting to the internet, the only thing i did new was reboot it a few times...

so now i'm down to my Ubuntu machine, anyone got any ideas on how to get that to accept the shared internet from the windows machine?
already tried rebooting it a few times.....

skeen

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
London, England
ok, well now my Mac just started connecting to the internet, the only thing i did new was reboot it a few times...

so now i'm down to my Ubuntu machine, anyone got any ideas on how to get that to accept the shared internet from the windows machine?
already tried rebooting it a few times.....

How did you do this?? I have a Windows machine that connects to the internet via dialup - but it is also on a wireless network (over my NETGEAR router), as well as my Mac machine.

I'd like to share this Windows internet connection with my Mac. Could you post exactly how you did this?

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
How did you do this?? I have a Windows machine that connects to the internet via dialup - but it is also on a wireless network (over my NETGEAR router), as well as my Mac machine.

I'd like to share this Windows internet connection with my Mac. Could you post exactly how you did this?

all i did was right click on connect to and hit explore in the start menu.
then when the connections are showing in a explorer window, i right clicked on it, and there was an option to share connection. i did that and then it just started working for my other windows box and my PSP, but my apple was being stubborn... i went thru the network config assistant, and tried to set it up, had the air port turned on, but still wouldn't connect, so i kinda gave up and a few days later i just tried safari again, and it just worked. and it has been working for a few days now. don't know what to say other than that

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
So what is this layout.
What most of us have is the following.
Wire Connection to Wireless Router.
PCs. Macs, Linux Boxes use wireless off the Wireless router. If you draw out the diagram with the router in the center it looks like a star.

What it sounds like you are doing Is your main wired internet connection is on One computer Windows/Linux? Then you are wired wireless router then getting wireless connection off of that.

It seems like you are over complicating the situation. The wireless routers normally have enough juice to handle all systems wirelessly and most have extra ports in case a system isn't wireless.

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
So what is this layout.
What most of us have is the following.
Wire Connection to Wireless Router.
PCs. Macs, Linux Boxes use wireless off the Wireless router. If you draw out the diagram with the router in the center it looks like a star.

What it sounds like you are doing Is your main wired internet connection is on One computer Windows/Linux? Then you are wired wireless router then getting wireless connection off of that.

It seems like you are over complicating the situation. The wireless routers normally have enough juice to handle all systems wirelessly and most have extra ports in case a system isn't wireless.

my connection to the net is thru dial-up, high speed thru cell phone modem, 2.4mbs but as far as windows is concerned its just dial up. cant connect it directly to the router. everything works fine except my linux box, tried messing with the settings on it but cant get it to accept it, but osx, windows mobile 6 and my PlayStationPortable all have no problem with it.

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
my connection to the net is thru dial-up, high speed thru cell phone modem, 2.4mbs but as far as windows is concerned its just dial up. cant connect it directly to the router. everything works fine except my linux box, tried messing with the settings on it but cant get it to accept it, but osx, windows mobile 6 and my PlayStationPortable all have no problem with it.

OK that make a bit more sence now...

I would sugest going to Linux Support for getting the linux box (Yes I understand that when you started this thread the Mac wasn't working either)... I myself had been hit or miss getting wireless to work with Linux, I usually had some unsupported card...

But if the wireless does seem to connect I would suggest you check some things in the terminal...

You may need to do this as root...

ifconfig -a

See if you can find your wireless card eth0, eth1 would be my best guess.

After you find that device check to see if there is an ipaddress assigned to it. It should be like 192.168.1.x or 10.0.0.x or something simular to that...

If you don't have an ip address but it seems to be connected to the wireless. you may want to release and restart your dhcp connection.

dhcpclient? dhcpd? ifconfig? I don't know off hand a Linux support group would know straight off.

if you do have a 192 or 10.0 Ip address see if you ping the ipadresses of your windows box and the router. If that works.

See if you can ping an IpAdress of a live website (You may need to ping on an other box that does connect to the internet to get its ipaddress) If that doesn't work you may need to change you Gateway setting for your network connection... If it does work. and try say http://www.google.com then most likely your name server is wrong.

Normally your routers IP Address works for the name server but it may need to go to what Windows has listed for the name server.

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
Arg, got home last night, booted everything up, got the widows pc on line, go to the mac and try to get on line, wont connect, then tried my psp, wont connect.
checked to see if windows was still sharing, and it was still set,
why would this be so fluky, that it works one day, not the next?:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.