Internet Slow.... but only on one Mac??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MAC-PRO-DEMON, May 4, 2009.

1. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Hi..

So... the problem is that on one of my Macs, the internet is slow... like really slow... but on all of the others... it is fine!!

I have checked the Hosts file... and it shows no problems... as there is nothing on it that is not supposed to be there....

I read somewhere that running an app called Preferential Treatment will show any problems in Preference files... might this help???

While on all the other computers, I get about 10MB/s down, on the problem on, I get only 100KB/s...

Is this a real problem.. or, am I just missing something!!!

Hope that you can help...

Thanks,
    Jack

2. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

WiFi/Ethernet?

Age of the systems?

any other networking issues?

anything on activity monitor?

have you rebooted?

zapped pram/smc?

3. MAC-PRO-DEMON thread starter macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Answers and questions are colour coded...

Wifi on the Problem Computer, and Wifi is tested on another... both with 802.11N.. I get about 5MB/s download over Wifi on the non problematic one...

The Problem computer is an iMac 24" Purchased in the May of last year.... and the other computer that is tested over Wifi to work, is a MacBook Air bought in January this year..

The network is slightly confusing, but really... there is no problems as everything else works, sometimes that iMac works fast, and then sometimes it works slow... it really depends...

Rebooted many times.. this is an ongoing problem, rebooting helps tempererilly...

Have not done PRAM/SMC... but will do in a few minutes....

J

4. McKnight macrumors member

McKnight

Define "internet slow" please OP, this can mean many things. Have you tested download speeds using a website for such a test or have you simply observed slower loading pages? Are you using the same internet browser, from the same location in your house?

A million factors can contribute to network issues, you need to give much more detail on your exact problem.

5. MAC-PRO-DEMON thread starter macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

When I say slow... I mean the computer is 20 meters from the Router... which is a BT Homehub and I am talking about the download speed that I get when I am downloading a large file... also..... the latency...

J

6. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Ok. Can you please ping both 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.4 and post the results here?

7. MAC-PRO-DEMON thread starter macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

8. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

I'll assume they are both leopard and have all patches/updates.

If you run speedtest.net on both systems ( one at a time ) is there a difference in the speed?

9. MAC-PRO-DEMON thread starter macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

OK.... so I ran it on both.. the internet is running slightly slower today... but hey...

[​IMG]

That is what I got on the iMac, and the score was only 1 or 2 higher on my MacBook Air...

:confused:

You seem to be asking lots of questions... but no answers???

Thanks,
    J

10. efcjoe macrumors newbie

I've been having a similar problem for ages. Alu iMac 20", random slow internet, only on the mac. I've tried all sorts of things, none of them seem to fix it. It usually fixes itself within a day or two. I'm sure it's a problem on my end rather than an Apple problem though.

11. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Sorry, I've been busy the last couple of days. Lots of Q's to try and narrow down the problem and if nothing else may jog someone elses memory.

First I'm jealous... 40mb/s internet access it nice. The fact that both are showing the same "speed" seems to indicate that it's not a connectivity issue, but possibly one related to latency of some service.

Some things to think about.

1) Interference, are there other wifi base stations with overlapping channels?
    2) Do you have parental controls on either system
    3) Do you have any proxies configured anywhere
    4) Are you positive that the DNS between these two hosts are identical
    5) Mobile me configured on either system?

My thinking is that you may not be having "slow" internet, but something more like slow DNS or something else that adding latency. It wouldn't matter if you had a gigabit pipe to the internet if DNS takes 1 second longer to resolve everything would seem slower.

You should also try rebooting your WiFi base if you have not done so already as that it really the gatekeeper here and could be affecting the connection in so many ways.

12. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

I'd recommend switching your DNS servers to 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.3, and 4.2.2.5

Even if it doesn't solve your problem, they're still almost certainly better resolvers than your ISP's, and they're much, much better than OpenDNS.