Internet slow on webpages & speed tests

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xp0z3d, Sep 25, 2014.

1. xp0z3d macrumors regular

Since some days my TWC Internet is slow when loading webpages etc. Its a 20mbps connection and mostly has been reliable with speeds. But nowadays webpages load slowly, speed tests online mostly show 1mbps speeds, sometimes they do show good speeds but not consistent at all.

Now I have restarted my Macbook, Time Capsule router, my Modem but no difference. But pickle is that if I download a torrent then speed comes out to be consistent with what I am supposed to get. It downloads at full speeds, and I have tested that again and again, it would hold full speed for hour.

So what might be problem that torrent download is at full speed but rest is sluggish. I am not checking speeds while simultaneously downloading, as that would affect it.
    Also at same time speed is inconsistent when checked on my cell phones as well. It barely ever registers to speed I used to get.

Where could be issue, my setup or ISP?

My Macbook is running Mavericks. Used speedtest, speedof.me etc to check speeds.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Once you have downloaded a torrent it will be available as a seed to upload for others, high upload will reduce your download speeds and sound a likely cause.

You can normally limit seeding bandwidth to solve this (or stop files seeding completely).

If you have others using the same connection check their usage too.

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

'course...we wouldn't want to say anything about downloading torrents is the equivalent of stealing.

It could also be that TWC is throttling your speed, since they realize you're sucking up more bandwidth than normal.

4. xp0z3d thread starter macrumors regular

I am not completing torrents. I download to see if my connection sustains speed and after testing, I am deleting and not seeding or anything. Also my upload speeds are not affected. No one else is using but me.

If they were throttling, would not it affect download for everything? but for torrent downloads, it works perfectly. General internet use is crippled.

I tested with Torrent to check if my download speed as whole is down. Not that I am sucking any bandwidth.

Now My cell phones are getting good results on speed testing. But my Macbook still is not. I think it might be macbook issue.