Internet Slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ktalebian, Dec 7, 2008.

1. ktalebian macrumors regular

Hi there,
    Today, I was updating my computer. After I was done, the internet speed went down dramatically!!
    It's not my internet connection. Because another laptop in our house that is connected to the same internet, has very good speed. I made sure no computer was actually downloading anything, but the speed is very slow!
    Most notably, using Transmission, I used to download at 200kb/s. Now i barely get 1kb/s!!
    What's wrong? I tried restarting my MBP, but that didn't do anything!

Thanks

2. VagabondMuse macrumors newbie

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions but you might want to look at this discussion:
    Airport problems

3. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply.
    So today for some reason, the speed went back to normal!! I didn't do anything at all :))
    But, the problem is that, the old files in my Transmission are being downloaded at normal speed. But I cannot add any more files! I mean I can add them to transmission, but they don't connect to any peers and do not download at all!! I went and randomly picked a torrent with 500+ seeders, just to check the connection, and even then it does not connect to any peers!! Why? All the older files that were being downloaded are downloading! The new ones don't!

Thanks

4. Remoth macrumors newbie

you were downloading in transmission, right? and since you updated, you had to restart the computer, right? well, when you use transmission, you are downloading from other users, not a website. when you go offline, other users will take your spot and start downloading. if you get someone who is uploading at 200 KB/s, thats what you will Download at. if you get someone who is uploading at 1.5 KB/s, thats what you will get. Downloading from torrents is just as much about the host's connection as it is your own. of course, you are downloading from multiple host's but the rules still apply.

If you tried downloading something from apple on your laptop, then of course you are gonna get full internet speed, because apple has a fast uploading speed, or any other major site, but comparing that to a torrent is foolish since torrent Download speed is very unreliable. there was nothing wrong with your mac or your internet, you just got disconnected from the fast hosts and then were re-connected. I bet if you were watching the number of people that were seeding it to you, the number would have went up right before your speed went back to normal.

edit: oh and you probably have the maximun number of torrents. You can probably change that somewhere, but thats what I would check. under preferences most likely.