Internet slower than ever!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pilotkid, Aug 16, 2007.

1. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for your help! For some reason it seems like lately my internet has been slower than ever. I'm new college student and with the reports and all the internet usage that will be required in the upcoming weeks/years will be great. So I'm wondering is there anything I can do to speed it up? I have a motorola cable modem and a dlink wireless router and both are at least 5 years old, I'm wondering if there just getting old and needing replacing/updating? If so is the apple wireless router worth the $179 bucks? Thanks again for your help! PS i have a Macbook 2ghz the first one(about a year old).
    PSS: It took me three attempts to submit this threat cause my internet kept saying it could not load the page!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Have you tried unplugging all the cables and power cord from both the modem and router for 60 seconds and then plugging them back in?

3. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I haven't but i'll go try it now and i'll let you know. Do I have to unplug everything? or just the power cords?

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Try just the power cords first and then all of them if that doesn't work. (I've been told to take out all of them before by tech support when my connection was going slow. I think it was a hard reset or something like that.)

5. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Just the power cords should suffice, make sure you plug the Cable modem back in first, and let it connect before you plug the router in.

6. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, I unplugged the cable modem and router and I'm not sure if it worked, it kinda seems faster but it might just be me...What do you guys thing about the apple router is it worth is?

7. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

NOPE! defiantly not any better!!!!!:mad::mad::mad: I keep getting Safairi cant connect to the server and crap like that on all these different web pages...I cant even reply to this post...it keeps saying it cant connect to the server!:mad::confused:

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Try connecting your Mac directly into the Modem (not using the router) and see if you have the same problem.

9. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just tried plugging the ethernet cord into my macbook and turned off airport and it didnt work at all. I tried to set up a new connection but then it asked something about how I connect and I didnt know that answer you it said contact your local service provider. It was like ppoe or something like that??? I have Cox Communications highspeed internet in Phoenix, Az

10. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That's weird you should be able to plug in the ethernet cable and just have it work, you don't need to turn off airport when connecting via ethernet BTW. Do you have a different ethernet cable you can try it with?

11. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Sounds like you might have DNS issues, try setting your DNS servers to:

12. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

What the heck are those?lol DNS?? How do you get to is and do I set it to exactly what you put above?

13. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

System Preferences>Network>TCP/IP and there is an option for DNS Servers, also try these servers:

14. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, I typed in the top one of those (ending in 220) and clicked apply. The box was empty before I typed those in. What do those numbers do? Also, thank you for taking the time to help me through this!
    oh and PS When I went to where you said in Network under Location is said "Automatic" and under show it said "Airport"

I just tried going to a few random website and those numbers I entered seemed to help, my internet seems faster and I haven't got any "Safari cant connect" message!

15. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You should put both in the box for DNS Servers and here's an explanation of DNS servers for you. I'm happy to help :).

16. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, if definitely seems like entering in those numbers helped, thanks again for helping me. Have a goodnight.

17. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'm glad that I could help :)

18. mdt562 macrumors newbie

Thanks, my internet seemed slow too...putting the DNS seemed to help me out

19. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

I have been having issues with regards to connection delays and such. Cox.net on their support page states that they recently have been experiencing DNS Issues.

So, if that is your ISP too, that may be part of the reason.

20. cvance macrumors newbie

Ok openDNS does not seem to work for me for some reason. I restart my computer and do everything. When I got to the check page it says oops. I look in my internet preferences and the DNS' are there but for some reason it will not work, and so my internet is slow as Hell. :mad: It worked before but when I switched to have a WEP for college it wont work now.