Internet Speed / CPU speed?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by patchouli, Dec 11, 2010.

1. patchouli macrumors member

Is there a way to tell which one is slow, if anything is going slow?
    I have an extremely old PC which is normally ok for most things, but gets bogged down if I am doing too many things.
    I was so annoyed with our national real estate site after they changed the format that I wrote a letter once a long time ago.. and I was ready to let them have it again, listing all the reasons why it is so bad and so much worse than the original.
    Today for the first time, I accessed the site (mls.ca) using my new iMac. It was like lightening speed, comparatively speaking.
    Wow, suddenly I knew why the mls people hadn't changed their new format.
    But then I started going to other sites.. like airmiles.ca for example, and it was slow as heck... and stalling.. etc.
    How would I be able to tell whether it is an internet slowness or the computer being slow?
    Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

www.speedtest.net to test your down and upload speed.
    Applications/Utilities/ACTIVITY MONITOR (Show All Processes, sort by CPU) to see your CPU usage.
    Maybe it is even Flash related.

3. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

While the poster above me has pointed you to some good resources I tried both of the sites. The first one was fine but the second one had the same problems you were talking about.

It sounds like the issue is on their end not yours because I have a very fast computer and internet service.

4. patchouli thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the feedback.
    I figured there are some sites which are just inherently slow for whatever reasons of their own, although I would imagine it's highly undesirable for them!
    How is one to know whether it's the site itself, as opposed to one's own computer/internet?
    If one site is fast/normal on my machine, and another is slow and stalling, is it safe to assume it's just the site itself? (Although on my old PC, that mls site was torturously slow, while others were not, and it DID turn out that it was my computer all this time, as evidenced today by visiting with my Mac!). Would that mean that some internet sites require faster processors to view them as fast as they're supposed to be viewed?? Or they require a minimum amount of ram to be viewed as they're supposed to be viewed?
    Thanks for the links to see my internet speed and cpu usage.

5. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

Sites with a lot of client-side computation like sites heavy in flash or javascript will be slow on older computers especially if there is limited RAM and you are using a memory hungry browser like Chrome (or pretty much any modern browser).