Internet Speed - Do I Need More Memory?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cgm707, Jun 22, 2013.

1. cgm707 macrumors regular

I just got a new hard drive for my Macbook Pro, but my internet speed is awful.

I have the fastest wireless plan, so is it a memory issue?

I'm very frustrated with this laptop.

Attached Files:

2. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

Do a speedtest on speedtest.net and see what the results are.

In my opinion, I don't think it's the memory though.

3. B... macrumors 68000

B...

No. The wireless antenna is outdated and won't have as good speeds as a newer model.

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

definitely not a memory issue...you have 2/4 of your GB of ram free...

Sounds like a wireless issue to me. Either get closer to the router or get a new router that has more range.

5. cgm707 thread starter macrumors regular

Memory Test

Memory test using speedtest.net shows upload speed of 8.62 and download speed of 31.13 mbps.

My modem is only a year old. How can it be the modem?

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

A modem and a router are two very different things.

How do you actually connect to the internet, and what do you mean by your internet is slow, in what situation is it slow?

RAM has nothing to do with internet speed, so I don't know why you'd want to upgrade it in the first place? And anyway, looking at your "about this mac", you have an older model which I believe only accepts up to 6GB, so you wouldn't be getting much of an upgrade anyway.

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

That's actually quite good. What problems are you having exactly?

8. zipur macrumors 6502a

zipur

your speed is better than my test. I get 22.39 and 2.89. Who is your provider and what city.

9. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

You have PLENTY of free memory while running your Google Chrome. Everything in green is free. You have zero page outs. Your internet test speed is quite good. What specific problems are you having? Are pages loading slowly? Slow downloads? Problems watching video? Are you experiencing the same problems with other browsers?

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Neither of those have anything to do with the speed of your internet connection. As Swamplus asked, what specific problems are you having?

11. LeeM macrumors 6502a

with my air (4gb) i find from time to time my internet slows down and i have to quit and reload safari to sort it.
    never happens on my pro (16gb)

12. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Wow that is some ridiculous question.

It is like: My spaghetti are over-salted, do I need a faster car? :rolleyes:

Attach you notebook to your router via LAN cable. Test you speed and if it isn't any better the only explanation possible is that you Internet just isn't any faster. Complain to your ISP (Internet Service Provider).

31 Mb/s is so fast that wifi needs to run at least a 54 Mb/s (g). I doubt your wifi is an issue. I wish I could have such a fast internet at my home.

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

When you run out of RAM, the whole computer slows down, but your internet speed will remain the same. Pages will take longer to get loaded into RAM as it is full, but they're still on your computer in the same amount of time. Again, RAM has nothing to do with internet speed.