Internet speed issues, and questions.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by brendanryder, Feb 20, 2009.

1. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

I currently have internet with Shaw(canada provider) and i have been noticing it has been very slow lately.i Believe we have the High speed option but im not 100% sure because we have some bundle option

heres the deal:
    I run istat in my menu bar and watch my bandwidth in and out. im not 100% sure but this is my speed right?
    Most days i have a "peak" of around 600-800 KB/s In and thats pretty slow fricking internet. It takes 2 minutes to buffer a freaking youtube video and it should be much faster. Today i decided to run a speed test from http://www.speedtest.net/ and http://speedtest.shaw.ca/ when i ran the shaw one i got a whopping 16.7 Mbps and my iStat would jump to 2.35 MB/s for about 2 seconds then slowly die down to around 60 KB/s

Is it me or does shaw bump up the speed when i run any sort of speed test so you think you have a faster connection?

Thanks

2. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Pssh you think 600-800kbps is slow? I'm running on 250kbps! Oh well, I can live with it. Just. :eek:

Do you have wireless internet or DSL/Cable? If you're running wireless, then interference may be a problem. Certain signals or perhaps just the area you live in are factors that contribute to 'rollercoaster speed' internet.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

lol there is no conspiracy around your internet company and whatnot!!

i dont know what is wrong with your internet connection, have you been capped?? perhaps they have been doing line maintenance? maybe the maximum amount of users has been met? who knows.

give them a ring

4. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no need to boast biatch!

6. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Some of us don't have fibre optic as an option where we live! :mad:
    :p