Internet speed monitoring tool?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by dawindmg08, Dec 3, 2015.

1. dawindmg08 macrumors member

dawindmg08

Hi all,

(apologies if this is the wrong forum for this, please point me elsewhere if you think there's a better forum for this question).

I'm looking for recommendations on software that can monitor my internet connection at the office, something that can track our speeds all day and log the results. We have terrible AT&T service at our office and we rarely hit our promised speeds (20/1) and also have several dropouts during the day where things slow to a crawl. I would love to have solid stats to show to them to prove what's happening and hopefully troubleshoot a better solution for us. Either their equipment or connection sucks or there are some major problems in our building...

Ideally it's an OS X app I can run on on one of our hardwired Macs. Or if it's possible with any of the built-in Utilities I would love to know about that too!

TIA,
    D

2. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Running Speedtest.net in Terminal, with looping and logging to text file, might be an idea. :)

You need the Speedtest Python script. Grab it and make executable:
    Code:
    wget -O speedtest-cli https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest_cli.py
    chmod +x speedtest-cli
    Create a bash script to run speedtest-cli in loop every 30 minutes (1800 seconds).
    Code:
    nano speedtest
    Paste:
    Code:
    while true; do
      date
      speedtest-cli
      sleep 1800
    done
    Make the script executable:
    Code:
    chmod +x speedtest
    Run script and log to dated file:
    Code:
    ./speedtest > Speedtest_log_`date +%Y.%m.%d`.txt
    Control + z to kill.

It should output something like this:

3. dawindmg08, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015

dawindmg08 thread starter macrumors member

dawindmg08

Thanks for this. Is this CPU intensive, running in the background? I'd want to keep it running all day.

4. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

It shouldn't be too CPU intensive, but it will use all your free bandwidth. Hence I suggest you run it at a set interval and not continuously.

5. dawindmg08 thread starter macrumors member

dawindmg08

Okay thanks. I'll have to wait for a day when I'm alone at the office, as even Speedtest can throttle our speed so badly that no one can connect or even check email while it's running...