internet speed problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by icecreamsushi, Jan 20, 2012.

1. icecreamsushi macrumors newbie

When im on my imac connected on the wifi for the internet. the speed is dead slow. its really bad when i want to surf websites and even worse when i stream videos.

when connecting my macbook to the wifi its really fast when doing everything.

i doubt its the wireless router or my connection speed (30mb) i really feel theres something wrong with my imac. could it be a number of things ie, firewall, trojans? virus? or anything hacking or.. i dont know but please help. by the way im not that techinal with the terms and that so go to simple steps for me please. thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check your DNS settings. Read: Why am I being redirected to other sites?
    Your Mac hasn't been hacked and it's not malware. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

3. icecreamsushi thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for answering one of my concerns.. i kind of knew it couldn't be hacking ie, malware.
    so it could be trojans on my imac. what software can i download to get rid of it?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, unless you actively installed pirated software or software from untrusted sites, it's not a trojan, either. Did you check your DNS settings, as I suggested?

Your problem has nothing to do with viruses, trojans, other malware, firewall settings or hacking.

5. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Plug your iMac directly into your router and test your performance. If it comes back as expected, perhaps experiment with a different channel / channels on the wireless side of the router.

At least that's where I would start.